Live.com is not responding due to a long-running script occurs ONLY within Hotmail.com (Outlook Mail) email account

Every time I sign into my Hotmail.com (Outlook Mail) email account for the past 3-4 weeks,  I get the following long running script issue described below:

When I sign into my Hotmail.com (Outlook Mail) account and begin reading my emails the Outlook.com account temporarily freezes ( stops responding) and at the very bottom of the screen I get the following message: live.com is not responding due to a long-running script.

A small dialog box comes up Stop Script. I select the dialog box Stop Script and the entire Outlook email account reboots. I have to select Stop Script dialog box up to 3 times  (reboots 3 times)  until the message finally clears and I am able to continue to read my emails.

This issue has occurred every day on different computers ( Library computers, college computers, my laptop computer). I have disabled all add-ons. Still occurring. Still investigating.

This issue ONLY happens within Outlook Mail. This issue does NOT occur outside of Outlook Mail.

What can I do to solve this script issue?? Please help. Please advise.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

When you receive a script error, the webpage may not be displayed or work correctly. It could be caused by a file or settings in your computer. For us to isolate the isolate the issue in accessing Outlook.com through a web browser, kindly respond to the questions below:

1. You mentioned that it happens in different computers, may we know if the issue persists when using a different web browser?
  2. Are there any third-party security or antivirus programs installed on your computer?
  3. Are you accessing Outlook.com through a proxy server? Does the issue persist when you access Outlook.com when connected to your Home network?

We look forward to your response.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

1. No, I just tried Firefox web browser and no script message appeared. I also noticed the speed of response navigating within my Outlook Mail account greatly improved using firefox web browser.

2. On my personal computer a third party antivirus program is installed, however, no third party antivirus programs are installed on local library computers. The script issue appeared on local public library computers.

3. Accessing Outlook.com on local public library computers and their networks, college networks, and home network. This script issue is still occurring.

Mark

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the exact same issue and I'm getting really ticked off. Seems to me they are trying to force the upgrade, I never wanted the first change from Hotmail. It worked great. live.ca has always been slow to respond and now this......very curious as to what their response is, if any....

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the information you have provided, Mark. You mentioned that the issue does not occur when using a different web browser. Since it doesn't happen to other browsers, it could mean that the issue is within the web browser you prefer to use. May we know what web browser are you using where you see the script error? This is for us to know and may recreate what you are experiencing.

We look forward to your response.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I am using the latest version of Internet Explorer 11.

Mark

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate answering our question. If the only sign of this problem is the error message, and if the website is working after closing the error message, you can probably ignore the error. If you want to ignore the error, you can turn off notifications about every script errors in Internet Explorer. Here's how:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options. If you are not seeing the Tools menu, press the Alt key on your keyboard to display the menus.
  3. On the Advanced tab, click to clear the Display a notification about every script error box, and then click OK.

If you need further assistance, feel free to ask us.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

The Website is working after I stop the script message (( sometimes it takes 3 attempts to stop the script message)) but still after I stop the script message Outlook Mail is responding very sluggish or slow.  

The Display a notification about every script error box is currently unchecked.

Mark

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We appreciate the update, Mark. If the script error does not occur when viewing Outlook.com in another web browser, the problem may be caused by files or settings on your computer. We suggest that you verify if Active Scripting, ActiveX, and Java are not being blocked by Internet Explorer. Here's how:

1. Open Internet Explorer.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  3. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Security tab.
  4. Select Default Level.
  5. Click OK.
  6. After resetting the security levels, attempt to open Outlook.com.

Active scripting, ActiveX, and Java are all involved in shaping the way that information is displayed. If these features are blocked on your computer, this may disrupt the display of the web page.

Note: ActiveX controls and Java programs are turned off in the High security level in Internet Explorer.

If resetting the security level of Internet Explorer does not help, you may remove all temporary Internet files in Internet Explorer. These files are stored in a local copy of that web page. If the size of these files becomes too large, some display problems may occur. Periodically clearing the folder might help resolve the problem. Here's how:

1. In Internet Explorer, select the Tools menu, then click Internet Options.
  2. Under the General tab, under Browsing History, select Delete.
  3. In the Delete Browsing History dialog box, click to select the following check boxes, and then click Delete:
    • Temporary Internet Files
    • Cookies
    • History
  4. Click Close, and then click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.
  5. Then, restart Internet Explorer and attempt to access Outlook.com.

If the steps above doesn't resolve the problem, do not hesitate to post back to us.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Internet Explorer Security setting were already at the default level.  No changes were required.

I make it a regular daily routine to delete all browsing history files. This I do daily.

Mark

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are grateful for the feedback, Mark. It could be that the scripting engine on your computer is corrupted or outdated. We recommend that you install the latest software updates for Internet Explorer through Windows Update. Updating will replace outdated and/or corrupted components of your system. For information about updating, kindly see Windows Update FAQ.

Also, may we know which version of Windows are you using? This is for us to know and to provide the appropriate steps when troubleshooting.

We look forward to an update from you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 16, 2023 Views 3,753 Applies to: