live.com emails being delayed by 24-48 hours

Over the last 2 weeks (Since late October 2014) my emails being sent via the live.com server are being delay by 24-48 hours.  This happens on my Windows phone or on my Outlook (desktop).  I've been using my Windows phone for over a year with no problems.  What happened 2 weeks ago?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your issue on the Microsoft Community Forum.

I understand that your emails are being delayed.

Mail delivery delays are usually caused by one of the following issues:

• The mail servers may be undergoing maintenance, or there may be a service outage.
  • The message was large, or it contained one or more large attachments.
  • Messages that are sent from Windows Live Hotmail, MSN, or Hotmail accounts are subject to the same spam filtering as incoming mail from third-party email services.

I suggest you to check the date and time on the computer as this could also be a possible cause of this issue.

1. Click on the clock on the bottom right hand corner of your screen.
  2. Click on Change date and time settings.
  3. Ensure that the date, time and time zone are correct.
  4. Click the "Internet Time" tab, and click on “Change settings”.
  5. Change the server to "time.windows.com", then click update now.

Once this is done, send a test email to yourself and check if you are able to receive the same without a long delay.

Hope this information is helpful. Please reply with the results and if you need further assistance or have any other queries regarding Windows or Outlook.com, we are here to help you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not sure this is helpful.  If there's a delay on the live.com server, somebody should know that, right? Nothing fancy about the emails being delayed - it's happening to every single email going out on live.com (hotmail) whether on the desktop or phone.  The last item makes some sense.  The message are being sent immediately (shows up in the sent box) but are not being delivered for 24-48 hours.  My earthlink.net and outlook.com emails are being delivered instantly.

What's going on with hotmail and live.com that's causing this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 2, 2024 Views 571 Applies to: