Links in received emails aren't live - Hotmail and new Outlook

For quite a while now (at least a year if not more - I've gotten so used to it I've forgotten) links that people paste into emails and send to my Hotmail account are not live when I receive the email. This means every time I have to copy it and paste it into a new browser window. I've done a ton of research on these forums, investigated and adjusted all my settings, upgraded my browser... nothing has helped.

I held out hope that they would start working again when I was upgraded to Outlook. Lo and behold, it was not to be. My husband sent me an email with a link in it this morning and it's just black text - no blue hyperlink - and I had to copy and paste it to see what he sent me.

I have seen moderators ask a few questions of people posting similar issues (most of which seem to be that people can't SEND links, whereas my problem is that I can't RECEIVE them.

I have IE 10

I have cleared my cache and cookies etc.

I have the security settings to show content from trusted senders

Can someone please figure out why I am stuck in 1997 purgatory?

Hello,

Let me help you with your concern regarding being unable to click the link that was sent to you in your messages. This issue is usually due to the browser where the account is accessed. I would like you to try to open your email account on a different browser or computer and see if the links will be hyperlinked. Then, using your current computer, go to this site, Microsoft Silverlight and install the updated version of Silverlight. You can also use the site to install Silverlight if you do not have one.

After you install the latest version of Silverlight, please enable the Silverlight Addon. Here are the steps:

How to enable Silverlight:

1. Open Browser.
2. On the Tools Menu, click “Manage Add-ons.”
3. From the “Toolbars and Extensions,” Select “Microsoft Silverlight.”
4. If it says Disabled, Click the “Enable” button.
5. If this also does not work then try disabling Silverlight from tools--> manage add-ons--> Microsoft Silverlight and see if that helps.

Please update us with the results.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi.  I have the same problem and tried your suggested fix but to no avail.  Any other ideas?

Many thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi NEILMAC123,

Let me help you on your issue. Please verify if you try to open this link using other browser and computer. Also, I advise you to send the same email (with the link) to your friend or other account and check if the same issue occur.

Furthermore, we need to know what version of browser and operating system you are using when you encounter the problem. Make sure that you'll  follow my suggestions above to isolate this issue.

We'll be looking for your response.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for replying Leilani.  I've realised that it's just links in emails from one particular source (unfortunately, a source I get a lot of mail from!) that that don't work.  It must be their email server that's stripping out the link.

Thanks anyway!   

Sorry this didn't help.

I went to Microsoft Silver light and clicked on the install button, nothing happened. Surprising since I thought I only had this clicking problem from Hotmail. Any suggestions?

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 13, 2020 Views 2,804 Applies to: