Junk mail increase since beginning of October 2019

I use hotmail via MS Outlook. I feel like the algorithm for what slips into junk has changed recently. The volume of mail in my junk folder has quadrupled since the beginning of October. There are redundant emails, there are phishing emails, there are disgusting emails. Sometimes spam slips into my legitimate email. Occasionally something that's not spam slips into junk so I don't want to eliminate spam altogether. The spam is from unknown sources, obviously, many times addressed to a recipient whose name isn't even close to mine. Whenever I've reported a spam, I get more of that particular spam, so reporting is futile. What's up MS?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree. It has been awful.  I am getting the same spams to my inbox daily even though they aren't on safe list.  I have blocked, made rules, reported to outlook.  I have even sent them at least 20 of them.  They don't care.  It's a joke.  I have my emails being forwarded to Gmail and I don't have any rules in place yet it knows its spam.  Outlook is refusing to address this problem and I believe they are actually part of the problem.  I noticed that after report so many phishing things is when I started to get my inbox slammed every single day.  It's disgusting that Microsoft used to be the best, now they are the worst!

27 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same here, and some have even started sipping into my inbox, which amplifies the problem because spammers will know that you've opened the email as soon as any images load - which confirms that your email address is active. Emails that are confirmed to be active are worth a lot more money to spammers.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there! My name is Steve. I'm an Independent Advisor and an Outlook user like you. I'm happy to help with your query.

I agree, spam emails are very frustrating and there do seem to be more coming through in general at the moment than there has before. However there are some ways that you can manage and reduce the amount of spam that's coming through to your email account. If you're receiving repeated spam messages from the same senders then I would recommend to create a rule which deletes messages from these senders on arrival.

To do this please try the following steps:

1. Click the settings cog in the top right and select 'View all Outlook settings' at the bottom of the menu
2. Select Email from the left hand menu then Rules from the sub-menu and click Add new rule
3. Under Add a condition select 'From' and then enter the email address of the spam sender
4. Under Add an action select 'Delete' then click Save at the top
5. Repeat these steps for any additional spam sender addresses

You can also create rules based on other conditions, such as keywords in the emails or subject lines, so if you find any common phrases in the spam messages then you could also block/delete based on that.

Additionally under the Junk email setting you will see your Blocked and Safe senders lists which control the senders that automatically go straight to junk and that are never sent to junk. It's always recommended to keep these lists up to date with addresses you want to block and those you want to whitelist.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there! My name is Steve. I'm an Independent Advisor and an Outlook user like you. I'm happy to help with your query.

I agree, spam emails are very frustrating and there do seem to be more coming through in general at the moment than there has before. However there are some ways that you can manage and reduce the amount of spam that's coming through to your email account. If you're receiving repeated spam messages from the same senders then I would recommend to create a rule which deletes messages from these senders on arrival.

1. Click the settings cog in the top right and select 'View all Outlook settings' at the bottom of the menu
2. Select Email from the left hand menu then Rules from the sub-menu and click Add new rule
3. Under Add a condition select 'From' and then enter the email address of the spam sender

You can also create rules based on other conditions, such as keywords in the emails or subject lines, so if you find any common phrases in the spam messages then you could also block/delete based on that.

Additionally under the Junk email setting you will see your Blocked and Safe senders lists which control the senders that automatically go straight to junk and that are never sent to junk. It's always recommended to keep these lists up to date with addresses you want to block and those you want to whitelist.

I have settings set that ONLY safe emails come to inbox- now spammers are going to inbox

I have rules set for safe emails to go to inbox, they are not, they are going to junk, also marked safe sender AND on safe list.

If I had to make a rule for each one of these spammers I would have to quit my full time job. 

The point is, why is suddenly spam going to inboxes? WHY aren't the filters and rules working!?!?

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If I had to make a rule for the 125+ junk mails that I received everyday, I would not have a life. There has to be another solution. Blocking doesn't work nor does making it as spam. Microsoft needs to step it up.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I get 75 spams overnight. I was gone for an hour and came home to find 20 spams. This is a ridiculous amount to make rules for. This volume of spam is new. Can you find out what's going on at MS??

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've had the same experience that when I report, I seem to get more and more of the spam I report. It's ridiculous. I'm going to have to make the switch, I think.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have settings set that ONLY safe emails come to inbox- now spammers are going to inbox

I have rules set for safe emails to go to inbox, they are not, they are going to junk, also marked safe sender AND on safe list.

If I had to make a rule for each one of these spammers I would have to quit my full time job. 

The point is, why is suddenly spam going to inboxes? WHY aren't the filters and rules working!?!?

Are you being serious?  You can't create a rule that blocks spam from folks who have an endless supply of fake email addresses to send from.  This is an algorithm issue, and you know it is.  The other thing that likes to get thrown around is that they are going to spam where they belong.  Seeing as we all have to look at our spam emails as much as we do our real emails since the system can barely tell the difference between real emails even when white listed, this is not an option.  I have had my Hotmail/MSN.com account since the very beginning of Hotmail.  There have been ups and downs in the amount that get through to the spam folder, but recent server side changes that pretty much allow anything through as long as it gets pushed to spam have made the account barely usable.  I used to get maybe a dozen spam emails a day, now I get that per hour every day including overnight.  Admit that you accept that Microsoft, and then everyone can move on and close their accounts.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2023 Views 7,502 Applies to: