is outlook free for personal use, i DO NOT need all the fancy office stuff.

I am looking for a mail client to replace thunderbird but get confused with your terminology. What the diff between "outlook" , "Outlook for windows" are they FREE???? All i need is a mail client, I do not want all the fancy office stuff.

Running win 11 on lap top, plus latest android on phone.

Answer
Answer
Hi, I'm Diane and will be happy to help you today.

With everything mail-related named Outlook it can get confusing.

Outlook.com email (Microsoft version of Gmail or yahoo mail) is free but there are paid options. Two of the paid options include Office software subscription.

Outlook desktop software - aka Outlook for Windows - comes with Office software and is not free. This would be a replacement for t-bird.

Windows Mail is the free mail client that comes with Windows. It is free and could be a replacement for t-bird.

There is a new "Outlook" - code named Monarch but many people call it "Outlook Pre" because the icon for it has "Pre" on it. It's a pre-release version and will eventually replace Windows Mail. It is free but because it is only a replacement for outlook.com and gmail.com web sites, not a good replacement for t-bird right now. In a year, maybe.

If you just want to replace t-bird and have no more than 2 email accounts, eM client is a good option. If you have more than 2 accounts to add to it, you need to buy a license.

-- Diane

Give back to the community. Help the next person with this problem by indicating whether this answer solved your problem. Click Yes or No at the bottom.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2024 Views 15,240 Applies to: