iOS 14 iPhone and iPad will not accept IMAP server password.

My iOS iPhone 11 iOS 14 Outlook will not accept my IMAP server password. This is not a new account. Outlook was working fine previous to this but, I changed my IMAP server password due to an issue with iPhone Outlook. The issue was when I opened Outlook on my iPhone I would see the message "Updating" and then seconds later it would close and send me back to the iPhone home page. So I deleted the Outlook app, reinstalled and re-added my IMAP account. It was then  stuck on "Downloading Your Messages" / Updating". I then noticed  that my iPad was requesting that I sign into my IMAP account. When I did it would not accept the IMAP server password.  I then realized that was the issue with my iPhone too. So no I have two iOS 14 devices that will not accept my IMAP password. I have validated that the password is correct and works using my Windows 10 laptop with Outlook. I have also reset my account on the iPhone and iPad numerous times and I have changed the IMAP password twice with the same results, not working on iOS / working on Windows 10.  

Has anyone encountered this issue and have a fix?

P.S. I also have an Exchange email account and Gmail that I use in parallel with Outlook and they both work fine on both the iPhone and iPad.

Answer
Answer

Hi CTMaverick,

We appreciate your time in posting your concern here at the Microsoft Community forum.

We understand that you recently changed your Microsoft Account password, and your Outlook app on your mobile device requires you to update your password. Let us work on this together to get this resolved soon.

Once your Microsoft account password is changed, your device, applications, and connected services will require you to update your password. This is to ensure your security, and keep unwanted access out of your account. Reinstalling the Outlook app on your device would allow the application to refresh, there are some instances where your device remembers your account details tied to that application, and automatically connects to the server. We suggest that you check Outlook's settings > Slide the account that you want to remove and tap Delete Account. Restart Outlook and add your account again for you to be able to update your password.

Let us know if you have additional queries.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 16, 2024 Views 1,961 Applies to: