IMAP without "Microsoft Cloud" in "New Outlook"??

I get that Windows Mail, Calendar and People Apps urgently needed an Overhaul.

But forcing people is never a good idea and there are numerous topics why this "New Outlook" sucks. I get along with most of those points.

But my personal buzzkill is this: It appears, that this "New Outlook" is unable to just simply sync to an IMAP/SMTP-Server. Some sort of "Microsoft Cloud" is needed:

I suspect, that "New Outlook" sends all it's E-Mail data to the Microsoft Server for "savekeeping". However, I could not find a clear explanation for this or an option to turn this syncing for separate Mail Accounts off. This site is not helping either:

I don't want or need that. That's why I have separate Mail Accounts with IMAP/SMTP! I want my E-Mails on those 3rd party IMAP-Servers and an offline copy on my machine. There is no need for any "Microsoft Cloud" to get involved!

Anymore Insight? Any plans to turn this forced "New Outlook" into a "propper" mail program in the near future?

|

Hello Schokoladenfresser Hi, I'm Karl and will be happy to help you today. First, just so there is no misunderstanding, this is a public user-to-user support forum. We're users helping other users. We do not work for Microsoft and have no input on Microsoft's policies, procedures, or design decisions. Not going to try to speak on behalf of Microsoft but in a nutshell, you are not going to be able to change the way the "new Outlook" works. The one significant difference with IMAP accounts and the "new Outlook" is that all devices connecting to the "new Outlook" with an IMAP account, is that all devices will see the sane contact / calendar /email data something that cannot be done with an IMAP account that solely connects to server. The "new Outlook" is ultimately going to completely replace the Windows Mail, People, Calendar apps. Your alternative options are to use another desktop email client As for the roadmap for the "new Outlook" Things to look forward to in the new Outlook for Windows https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/things-to-look-forward-to-in-the-new-outlook-for-windows/ba-p/3975602 Bottomline, it may be a case that the "new Outlook" is not a viable option for you. You can also send Feedback to the MS tea from within the "new Outlook" by clicking Help --> Feedback If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, we're here to help you further if needed.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP 2012-2018]

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your clear statement.

I will switch to another desktop client, because I won't have my mails on MS servers.

Daniel.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Daniel -- you're not alone.

Like you, I find it very unsettling for Microsoft to architect themselves as a forced repository for all e-mail, including IMAP and POPs from other servers. Essentially, they're acting as a relay.

1. Fetch personal IMAP and POP mail from private servers to MS Server

2. Let Outlook client only interact with one server at that point, the MS Server

I get their marketed benefit -- all machines will look the same without having to reconfigure mail, because it's all setup and stored on the MS server. But I'm not cool with them storing all my e-mail, copies from my IMAP and POP servers.

I switched to Thunderbird and it seems to be working out OK.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same. Switching to Thunderbird.

What would be nice would be if MS would Open Source the good old "Windows Mail & Calendar" and let others maintain it. It wasn't perfect, but it was simple and mostly sufficient.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exactly my thoughts.

I tested Thunderbird and didn't like it.

Try eM Client, seems to be a better alternative to Outlook.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It allowed me one IMAP account

Thanks for your clear statement.

I will switch to another desktop client, because I won't have my mails on MS servers.

Daniel.

It allowed me one IMAP account?

I am also haveng delay issues with Outlook cause it has to go thru MS servers now?

What happened to bulletin boards and direct machine communication. Is this where we are now?

Apparently local storage is verbodden. I lost mounrtains of files that Microsoft deleted |FROM MY COMPUTER| I thought was a personal folder on my machine, Because I denied the cloud after they decided to subsume my email attachments?

Microsoft decided to upload these files to the cloud but I PUT THEM IN THE FOLDER called Onedrive, what give MS the right to delete from my machine?

Why couldn't they leave them on my computer? OneDrive and the MS cloud is a disaster. When there's a class action suit, I will be there. Never have I been so angry about being strong armed about MS. We have a right to our own data. Our computers apparently can't handle the load?

The whole scheme is upcharge people at every turn. Completely Forked. Look at the billions of financial control. Isn't that enough? Sharing is caring but this is just greed and immoral digital behavior.

You can take my files off your cloud but leave them on MY machine. What's so hard to understand about that? It's a twisted sense of possesion. I created them, I put them there, but you took them away from a folder on my machine.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft is opening itself to a bunch of liability by copying the contents of users' emails to its servers. They don't get to simply hide this behind a bunch of click-through agreements.

I think most users would not agree to storing their IMAP emails on Microsoft's servers. Companies who provide their employees with a non-Exchange IMAP account are not going to be happy with Microsoft strong-arming users into copying their confidential correspondence into Microsoft's Cloud where it is open to who-knows what snooping.

This is the end of my use of Outlook, which is a shame as its interface had improved a lot.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 19, 2024 Views 1,870 Applies to: