Image Resizing Issue when Pasting from Outlook for Mac to Word for Mac

Description:

I am encountering a resizing issue with images that are resized within Outlook for Mac and then pasted into Word for Mac. These images do not retain their modified dimensions when transferred via copy-paste into Word for Mac. Interestingly, this issue is specific to Outlook for Mac, as similar operations using Outlook for Windows (via Parallels) do not exhibit the same resizing problem, suggesting the issue may be isolated to Outlook for Mac.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Open Outlook for Mac and create a new email.

2. Insert an image or screenshot into the email body.

3. Resize the image to approximately half its original size using the image resizing handles within Outlook.

4. Send the email to your own email address.

5. Once received, open the email in Outlook for Mac.

6. Copy the entire content of the email, including both text and the resized image.

7. Open a new document in Word for Mac.

8. Paste the copied content into the Word document.

9. Observe that the image pasted into Word is larger than it appeared in Outlook, showing incorrect resizing.

10. Repeat steps 1-8 using Outlook for Windows running on Parallels, and observe that the image retains its resized dimensions when pasted into Word, confirming the issue is specific to Outlook for Mac.

Expected Behavior:

The image should maintain the resized dimensions as set in Outlook when pasted into Word.

Actual Behavior:

The image automatically enlarges, appearing at a size larger than its dimensions in Outlook.

Environment:

• Outlook for Mac Version 16.84.2 (24042814)

• Word for Mac Version 16.84 (24041420)

• macOS 14.4.1 (23E224)

This behavior is consistent and suggests a potential bug in how Outlook for Mac handles image data when copied and pasted into Word for Mac, in contrast to the behavior seen with Outlook for Windows.

|

Hi, I'm Diane and I'm happy to help you today. What is the zoom setting in word? The image pastes the same size here - the text formatting is goofy though. https://filestore.community.support.microsoft.com/api/images/596ba3ac-5a12-4b84-8194-52f7d05f0899?upload=true&fud_access=Pe0MFddWEvLoE%2BbDfNVp0dWFS4j26KM9iWVWjrpvX9m2RNsGYZK7GnHPmZA8%2Fa5gizxdDWJ96LlU%2F3HMWvdtjmYBOwG1GSDqFrGUC5gokqb1E4Bz7llveEStdhgKsJmLQgtZnrOCbkSreXWBNVpk%2BB2WFDggqS3aTqADPe6ajsicCL36qnsE9ItyiPVt%2FRmQQoTsLyPM%2BDO0ZoXm1jYQQCYJT5ZeIkZvNNCS%2BaXEYZNmRcF7kdCcqMqopgKbUG8TB6QDiywRyB5nFFPT9%2Bi2rccu7VmzMJR0hcM%2BqQN6b3egbfIFOH9tmK%2BwNCyx2ZCGkWuHltw0jnk1P%2BOmawLuKxMfuMcW5wGAk%2FdW4VS7F7p1RCVBkk6IZRlOM%2B1DYTLQLW4LrVSH1rJt6ms3KKR88x%2BMKZTYEdngeiMnB8V7zKY%3D Let me know how it goes, I'm here to help you further if needed. -- Diane

Diane Poremsky [M365 Apps & Services MVP]
https://www.slipstick.com
https://www.outlook-tips.net

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Zoom setting in Word for Mac is 100%.

The following screens show what I'm seeing on my end after following the steps I gave.

Do you happen to know where I can submit this bug report? I've searched and cannot find anything online. I have already reported it many times under Help / Feedback / Report a Problem but have no confidence it's even been looked at. Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 8, 2024 Views 15 Applies to: