If I try to access a shared mailbox by IMAP in Outlook Desktop, I get the main one

I have a serious problem to access the content of my shared mailboxes by Outlook, using IMAP

(Please, don't ask why I do not access the Exchange server directly: there are good reasons to use IMAP).

Let's say my account is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and that my password id psw. I want to access the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** mailbox. I am authorized to that, in fact I can see its content when I access Outlook from browser. The situation is different if I use Outlook from Desktop. Here is my config:

MAILBOX: Shared Mailbox

SHARED EMAIL ADDRESS: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

TYPE: IMAP

INCOMING SERVER: outlook.office365.com

INCOMING PORT: 993

INCOMING ENCRYPTION: SSL/TLS

INCOMING USERNAME: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

INCOMING PASSWORD: psw

OUTCOMING SERVER: smtp.office365.com

OUTCOMING PORT: 587

OUTCOMING ENCRYPTION: STARTTLS

OUTCOMING USERNAME: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

OUTCOMING PASSWORD: psw

Outlook connects without any problem, and sync, but rather than getting the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** content, it gets the *** Email address is removed for privacy *** content. I tried many times. No way.

[Moved from: Outlook.com / Email / Adding email accounts]

Hi Dario de Judicibus,

Thank you for posting in our forum community. We will try our best and provide a possible information in our forum community.

As per your mentioned description, at once we would like to suggest you please try to add shared mailbox manually into the Outlook desktop client from this detailed mentioned information article  Open and use a shared mailbox in Outlook and see if you can access shared mailbox or not.

Please feel free to know your updated information result. We will further provide you information accordingly.

Regards,

Darpan

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Dario de Judicibus,

If you need any other information or help, please feel free to contact us. We will further assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The link you provided does not solve the problem. Did you carefully read what I wrote? I am trying to access a shared mailbox of my business account (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) by IMAP from my personal account (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***). I have no problem to access the shared mailbox on my office desktop since I use my business account and I access directly the Exchange server. However on my home pc I have a home account that is different, so the only way to access my business mailbox is by IMAP. It works fine for the business mailbox but it does NOT work for the shared one. I hope I was clear now.
Dario de Judicibus

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dario de Judicibus,

Thank you for sharing such update with us.

As per your mentioned description about “I am trying to access a shared mailbox of my business account (me@mydomain.com) by IMAP from my personal account (me@hotmail.com)”, we understand that you want to access shared mailbox from your personal account, if yes, we would like to share such information with you that, we cannot access shared mailbox from personal account. Because, shared mailbox is associated with Microsoft 365 for Business email account.

From your mentioned description “However on my home pc I have a home account that is different, so the only way to access my business mailbox is by IMAP”, we are supporting Microsoft 365 email account as an Exchange online mailbox in our forum community to avoiding some issue or situation. So, if it is convenient for you, please configure your Microsoft 365 business email account as an Exchange under home PC on Outlook desktop client by creating new Outlook profile to access shared mailbox and check the result outcome.

If you have received any error on Exchange mailbox account to access shared mailbox, please feel free to know your updated information. We will further assist you accordingly.

Regards,
Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

«As per your mentioned description about “I am trying to access a shared mailbox of my business account (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***) by IMAP from my personal account (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)”, we understand that you want to access shared mailbox from your personal account, if yes, we would like to share such information with you that, we cannot access shared mailbox from personal account. Because, shared mailbox is associated with Microsoft 365 for Business email account.»

Well, I do access my business mailbox from personal account by IMAP. I have only to specify business account name (email) and password. And by the way, I already do that by a different Outlook profile. The problem is accessing the shared one.

«From your mentioned description “However on my home pc I have a home account that is different, so the only way to access my business mailbox is by IMAP”, we are supporting Microsoft 365 email account as an Exchange online mailbox in our forum community to avoiding some issue or situation. So, if it is convenient for you, please configure your Microsoft 365 business email account as an Exchange under home PC on Outlook desktop client by creating new Outlook profile to access shared mailbox and check the result outcome.»

OK, let me explain again what I did.  English is not my first language, so maybe I was not able to explain the problem.

I have two PC's. A desktop one, at office, and a laptop. 

On the desktop one I installed my Office 365 for Business license which is linked to *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. On desktop I have a single Outlook profile and I access my main mailbox and all the shared mailboxes I am authorized to by Exchange, directly. It works.

On laptop I installed my Office 365 Personal license because I use it for personal purposes and I do not want to depend on the same office license. So I pay for two different licenses. On laptop I created an Outlook profile called «Personal» to access all my personal mailboxes. They are NOT Exchange mailboxes, but IMAP ones. 

However, because of Covid19 emergency, I work from home. So I need to access also the business mailboxes. So I created another Outlook profile on my laptop called «Work». I tried to add my business account as an Exchange account but it did not work. So I decided to add them by IMAP. I have two business accounts: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** and *** Email address is removed for privacy *** (I have two Exchange licenses). I was able to add both of them by IMAP as follows:

MAILBOX: Main Office Mailbox

EMAIL ADDRESS: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

INCOMING USERNAME: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

INCOMING PASSWORD: pswmain

OUTCOMING PASSWORD: pswmain

and

MAILBOX: Info Office Mailbox

INCOMING USERNAME: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

INCOMING PASSWORD: pswinfo

OUTCOMING PASSWORD: pswinfo

It worked.

The first business account, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, is also authorized to access shared mailboxes. For example, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. So I tried to add also the shared mailbox by using

MAILBOX: Shared Office Mailbox

INCOMING USERNAME: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***\*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

INCOMING PASSWORD: psw

OUTCOMING PASSWORD: psw

This does not work. It connects, but instead of accessing the shared mailbox, it accesses a duplicate of the main mailbox. It is like it ignores "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" after "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" in incoming mail username. Note that if I use another mail application, as Thunderbird, I can access the shared mailboxes in that way. It does not work only by using Outlook.

Important: for good reasons I will not explain, I do not want to install Office 365 for Business on my laptop or create another Windows user on it. So, do not propose those workarounds, please. If I cannot solve that by Outlook I will have to install Thunderbird or another mailer, to access business email, but I really think this is really a pity. I do not like that interface.

I hope I was able to clearly explain the situation, now.

Dario de Judicibus

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dario de Judicibus,

Thank you for sharing such information with us. We are highly appreciating your cooperation in our forum community.

From your mentioned description about “So I created another Outlook profile on my laptop called «Work». I tried to add my business account as an Exchange account but it did not work”, if you have receiving any error message at the time of setting up business email account as an Exchange, could you please provide us that detailed steps and error message screenshot so that we can do further analysis and assist you accordingly?

Please provide us detailed screenshot information in this private message URL link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox to protect your privacy.

Regards,

Darpan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 27, 2023 Views 390 Applies to: