I can't add my Outlook account to my Gmail app on iOS

I can't add my Outlook account to my Gmail app on iOS.

I keep getting a "Your username or password is incorrect" message, even though I'm 100% sure I'm using the right credentials. 

My guess is it's because Gmail for iOS doesn't support email accounts that have 2FA enabled, but I can't disable 2FA for my outlook account either for some reason... I googled the whole internet and can't seem to find the answer. (I'm using a Microsoft 365 Business Basic plan)
Please help! 
(Edit: after extensive research and a long phonecall with Microsoft's technician I've found that there's a problem with work or school Outlook and Exchange emails when logging into Gmail. It's been like that for a year or so. I will raise this issue with Google and hope for a resolution. Until then, though, I will switch to the Outlook app.)

Hello Daniel Remian,

Thanks for your post and let us know above information. 

Firstly, as you mentioned your account has 2FA enabled, please make sure you are using the APP password when trying to add your account to the Gmail APP on iOS. As you mentioned you are using a Microsoft 365 Business Basic plan, you can refer to this article to create the APP password: Manage app passwords for two-step verification.

Moreover, since the Gmail account also support 2FA, it is recommended that you can try to sign to the Gmail for iOS APP with the Gmail account (which has 2FA enabled) and check the result.

Additionally, we would like to suggest that you may also try to download the latest version of Outlook for iOS APP on your device and check if you are add your outlook account to the Outlook for iOS APP.

Hope above suggestions can provide some useful information to you. If you prefer to use Gmail for iOS APP and need further assistance to add the Outlook account to it, as our team is focusing on Microsoft 365 products and services, you are recommended to contact Gmail support team to get further target assistance. 

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best regards,

Jennifer

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply. 
However, after I posted the question I had found out how to turn off 2FA, but it didn't help. I also created an app password like you said and tried logging in with it, but I'm getting the same "Your username or password is incorrect" message. 
As far as Outlook and Gmail apps I can confirm both things you asked about:

- I can add my 2FA enabled Google account to my Gmail iOS app
- I can add my Outlook account to the Outlook iOS app both with and without 2FA enabled, but for some reason I can't add it to my Gmail app... 

Also, I found a weird problem - sometimes when I try to log into my office365 account on pages like live.com and other, I get this message: "That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different account or get a new one.". That is obviously not true as I am able to log into my onedrive and outlook desktop with the same credentials. Could that be somehow related to my gmail problem?

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Daniel Remian,

Thanks for your reply. If you are using an Office 365 for Business account, you should login to your office 365 account via this link: https://outlook.office.com/owa/. As for the live.com page you mentioned, this is used for free Outlook.com account.

Moreover, since you can add your office 365 account to the Outlook for iOS APP, which means there is no problem with your office 365 account and this issue is related with the Gmail APP. In this case, you may need to contact the Gmail support team to further troubleshoot this issue.

Your time and cooperation will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jennifer

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, thanks for taking the time.
I contacted Gmail and am waiting for a solution. If they can't help I'll come back here :)

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok hi Jennifer,
unfortunately I still haven't heard from google regarding my problem so I've tried other e-mail clients and it's it's just as I expected. It's not just gmail that I can't log into. It's every single e-mail client except Outlook. I've run out of ideas and am running out of patience... I must have changed some settings because it can't be this hard to add an outlook account to other email clients. After extensive research I think it has something to do with the fact that I'm using my custom email (with my own domain) as my login, which I've added while setting up the Office Business Basic account. Please help, I need to finally resolve this issue.

(Edit: after extensive research and a long phonecall with a fantastic Microsoft's technician named Andrew - I've found that there's a problem with work or school Outlook and Exchange emails when logging into Gmail. It's been like that for a year or so. I will raise this issue with Google and hope for a resolution. Until then, though, I will switch to the Outlook app.)

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Daniel Remian,

Greetings. About your problem with the Gmail for iOS APP, we recommend you may try below methods to see if it helps:

1. Make sure to update your Gmail APP to the latest version and make sure the Gmail for iOS APP support OAUTH 2.0 so it can access your exchange online mailbox (you may need to contact the Gmail support again to confirm this information).

For your reference: Announcing OAuth 2.0 support for IMAP, SMTP client protocols in Exchange Online

2. Clear the password caches on your Gmail for iOS APP.

3. Try to manually setup your account in Gmail for iOS APP. For detailed information about the IMAP and SMTP settings for Microsoft 365 account, you may refer to this article: POP and IMAP email settings for Outlook 

Regards,

Jennifer

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2024 Views 17,455 Applies to: