How to Remove an Email Address From the Autocomplete List in Outlook.com

Google says to:

1. Go to the View Switcher and select People.
  2. Select the contact that contains the email address that you want to delete from the autocomplete list. ...
  3. Select Edit.
  4. Delete the outdated or unwanted address.
  5. Select Save.

Where is the View Switcher?

Thank you

Hi there, I´m Ivania. I´m an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I´ll be glad to help you today.

You can proactively remove any autocomplete list entries that are no longer needed. This is the preferred approach. See how:

To remove entries from the AutoComplete cache one entry at a time, follow these steps:

-Open a new email message.
-Enter the first characters of the autocomplete entry that you want to remove.
-When the entry appears in the suggestion list, move the mouse pointer over the suggestion until it becomes highlighted, but do not select it.
-When the X icon appears next to the highlighted suggestion, select X to remove the entry from the list or press the delete key on the keyboard.
-Selecting X will prevent the entry (name) from appearing in the autocomplete list again, but will not remove it from your account.

* If you send a person to a new email after removing the name from the autocomplete list, their information will be added back to the list.

In the link below you can also check these items:
- Turn off the Auto-Complete List
- Clear all entries from the Auto-Complete List

For more information on how to do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mana...

Supported for: Outlook for Microsoft 365 Outlook 2019 Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013 Outlook 2010

see this link about Display settings for mail to chance the view of your outlook:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/disp...

best regards

17 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there, I´m Ivania. I´m an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I´ll be glad to help you today.

You can proactively remove any autocomplete list entries that are no longer needed. This is the preferred approach. See how:

To remove entries from the AutoComplete cache one entry at a time, follow these steps:

-Open a new email message.
-Enter the first characters of the autocomplete entry that you want to remove.
-When the entry appears in the suggestion list, move the mouse pointer over the suggestion until it becomes highlighted, but do not select it.
-When the X icon appears next to the highlighted suggestion, select X to remove the entry from the list or press the delete key on the keyboard.
-Selecting X will prevent the entry (name) from appearing in the autocomplete list again, but will not remove it from your account.

* If you send a person to a new email after removing the name from the autocomplete list, their information will be added back to the list.

In the link below you can also check these items:
- Turn off the Auto-Complete List
- Clear all entries from the Auto-Complete List

For more information on how to do this:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/mana...

Supported for: Outlook for Microsoft 365 Outlook 2019 Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013 Outlook 2010

see this link about Display settings for mail to chance the view of your outlook:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/disp...

best regards

Hello and thank you. I have tried that several times now with no success. I start typing the name, get a drop down menu, see the name I want to delete, hover the mouse over it, and never get the X icon for that name or any other. 

Alternatively, I have no idea where to find the Auto-Complete list.

Any other suggestions.

Thank you!

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are welcome!

Well since the x still does not appear, I suggest that you optimize your browser to try to solve your problem by following the steps below:
- Upgrade your browser to a more current version.
- Delete caches and cookies.
- Keep the functions of Java and Adobe Flash Player up to date.
- Remove any add-ons that you may have installed on your browser, as they may be causing incompatibility with Outlook.com.

After doing this procedure, see if the mouse passes the x to delete, if it does not appear, use the arrow keys to scroll through the list and when you find the name of the person you want to delete, press the delete key.
In the latter case, you can remove the person from your contacts folder or another address book.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'd like to add after having this autocomplete issue as well I had to complete the following after I deleted the autocomplete list on my computer for my Online Outlook account.

This applied to my android Samsung Galaxy S21.

Go into your Settings > Apps, then locate Outlook. Select outlook then I cleared the cache which didn't make a difference. What solved this issue was selecting Clear Data. This will delete all of the applications data including files, settings, accounts, databases, etc. 

Make sure your password is handy as this will be required to go through the initial account activation and sign in.

This seemed to work great in my case and I hope it helps others.

Still working on a fix for my PC and laptop accounts.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 22,528 Applies to: