How to enable the "Require SMTP authentication" option for a new school email address

Title.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Eli

Going to assume that your school email account is configured as an Exchange account which if true, The "Require SMTP Authentcation" does not apply.

To confirm the email account type, from within Outlook, go to
File --> Account Settings --> Email tab

If it's not an Exchange account type then

#1 - Press CTRL+ALT+S to bring up the Send/Receive dialog
#2 - Select the Group (most people only have one) --> Click on Edit
#3 - Select the email account --> Click on <Account Properties>
#4 - Click on the <Outgoing Server> tab
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I believe you misunderstood my question, outlook wont let me add my school email account because there is an issue with the outgoing server.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Unless you provide information to the contrary, the term "school email" generally refers to an online Exchange account which doesn't require or use a setting for "Require SMTP Authentication".

If it's <NOT> an Exchange based server, then you would need to configure the account using the settings/instructions provided by your school otherwise you would need to contact the school's email admin for assistance.

Just to verify something, you are attempting to configure the account simply by
entering your email address/password for your school account using the Outlook desktop software - correct?

What error message are you encountering exactly as shown in full without any paraphrasing? Can only provide guidance based on the information provided and to reiterate, the question you posed is only applicable to either a POP3 or IMAP account.

In the interests of time, the following is an article outlining the most common SMTP errors just in case the error you're encountering is listed among them.

Common Outlook Outgoing Server (SMTP) Errors
https://www.slipstick.com/problems/common-outlo...

Required Forum Disclaimer: The above link is a non-Microsoft website. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

First I entered my school email address, selected the "set up account manually" box, then I chose IMAP because that is what my school website says to select. After typing in the incoming and outgoing addresses with their corresponding ports, I enter my password and receive the error:

"We couldn't connect to the outgoing (SMTP) server. Please check the outgoing (SMTP) server settings and try again."

on the tutorial on my school website, it shows to select the "Require SMTP Authentication" checkbox but that option is nowhere to be found on this version of Outlook.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you provide a link to the site that shows the instructions?

Am I correct in assuming that this is the first account you're trying to configure using the Outlook desktop program part of the Office suite?

And the steps your following to configure this account are

#1 - Entering your email address
#2 - Clicking on <Advanced> underneath the email address box
#3 - Checking the box for <Let me set up my email account manually>
#4 - On the screen that follows, you select IMAP
#5 - It asks you for your password (the screen would like the screenshot below if you're following the same sequence)
#6 - you get the error at this point?

All of these questions may seem redundant but I need to be sure we're both on the same page. If you're getting the error in step #6, then there is an issue with the <auto-discover> settings on the school's server so will have to follow other steps - in which case the link to your school's info site would be really useful.
Karl

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, my error is on step 6, here is the link to the (seemingly outdated) school website

https://helpdesk.fau.edu/TDClient/KB/ArticleDet?ID=62176

I already have my personal gmail account set up on outlook and was trying to add my school account.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK - that makes things easier

To set up your school account using the exact instructions provided, follow this path to get to the same user interface you see for Outlook on your school's site

#1 - With Outlook closed, open the Control Panel <Mail> app
#2 - Click on <Email Accounts>
#3 - You'll no get the same screens as described on the site - specifically under the section that starts with "In Outlook 2016, click the File ribbon, Account Settings, Account Settings…." (you can ignore the Outlook '2016 reference since it's exactly the same for Outlook 365)
Karl

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just used that method and followed the instructions on the website and it says that it is having issues connecting to the outgoing server

"Send test email message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, assuming that you're not going to be able to contact your school email admin, what I'd suggest is trying the following for the outbound server port and encryption connection type

Outbound port: try: 465 and if that doesn't work 567
Encryption Method: SSL/TLS

I have multiple IMAP accounts configured using Outlook 365 from different providers so assuming that's an Outlook issue is not my first choice as the cause of the problem. It's really surprising that they would be using Port 25 for the outbound server but 993 for Inbound (which is what I would expect for the inbound port)
Karl

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried both of those outgoing ports, and neither of them worked, having the same error that I copied and pasted last time, I guess I'll try to contact my school's tech support. Thanks so much for your help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2024 Views 2,715 Applies to: