How to change Outlook Android app default account

I had been using Outlook on my Samsung Tab S at Android 6 for years.  A recent update has changed things though.  I use Outlook to service both my live and Gmail accounts. The live account had always been default for new emails.  Now, all of a sudden the Gmail account is default.

I went through this on my phone and uninstalling Outlook and reinstalling with just live account set things up so that when I added my Gmail account, the live account was still default for new emails and contacts.

Note:. I can now longer get to my Outlook contacts either.  I had deleted the Exchange account as the Android 9 on my phone doesn't need it.  Now I can't add it back.

Please help.

Dan

Answer
Answer
Hi Dan,
Contacts aren't stored in the Outlook app - only Calendar and Mail. You can search and find contacts. Plus, there is an option to sync them to the phone's contacts app so they are available for calls.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Just for completeness, Outlook on my Android 9 phone was also hosed with Gmail coming up as default email account.  Seems there was a Dec 20 update that caused this.  Problem is, I was on travel and didn't notice the change.  Several conversations got forked into gmail which I don't use, but need to monitor.

WHAT A GIANT PAIN IN THE ****.

The standard uninstall reinstall didn't work. So I made sure, after Outlook was installed (or disabled in my case as it seems to have grown permanent roots into Android **** MS), I made sure Outlook accounts were deleted, including Office account then rebooted.

Started Outlook, added live account, made sure everything worked, including contacts, then added Gmail and things are back where they were.

This update even changes my signature.  Adding an account changes my signature.  What a mess.

I hope this helps someone.  I can't mark my own reply as answer, but

THIS IS THE UNFORTUNATE FIX TO NOT BEING ABLE TO EXPLICITLY SET DEFAULT ACCOUNT.

Enough,

Dan

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2024 Views 5,334 Applies to: