How do I stop my inbox automatically jumping to the top when I'm answering old emails?

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me - apologies in advance if I don't explain this in the most technical way.

Most Friday afternoons I put aside time to go through my inbox and answer anything non-urgent, scrolling down to ie two weeks ago, and methodically going through answering anything that needs an answer.

The issue is every time someone replies back to that email, it instantly goes back to the top of the inbox again, so I have to scroll back down.

I get many emails a day, so can take a while to scroll all the way back down every time - today I'm going back and answering emails starting 8th November.

Is there any fix I can make to keep my place in my inbox while I'm going through all those unanswered emails?

Most grateful in advance for any help.

H

Answer
Answer

Hi Hbownass

Greetings

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Generally this occurs because your Outlook sorts mail received in your Outlook by making sure the newest mail is on top as shown below, this can be done by clicking on your inbox folder and clicking on the by date option .

I tested on my end and did not find a way to temporarily turn off this option.

You may try to turn on conversation view in Outlook , you may refer to View email messages by conversation (microsoft.com)

Another possible work around, would be to turn on the work offline option in Outlook as you reply to old emails, however this will prevent any mail from incoming as you reply, once you're done replying to your old mails you may turn it on. To do so navigate to the send/receive tab and select the work offline option.

Kind Regards,

Momo

Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2024 Views 13,956 Applies to: