How do I reduce the "size" of a photo in MB without changing the physical dimensions of the photo?

If I take photos with my BlackBerry, I have the option to email them as Original, Large, Medium, or Small. For example, this takes a photo through a range from 1.7MB down to 109.8KB. The dimensions of the sent photo remains the same full size.

Transferring these same photos to my computer gives me the full size dimensions and MB, but if I use Microsoft Picture Manager to make them smaller for emailing, I get a tiny thumbnail in the middle of the page. What other options do I have?

I need to do this because Outlook takes a long time to send when 2 or more photos exceed a total of 4MB.

Answer
Answer
You have identified the 2 variables that affect the image file size, the dimensions (number of pixels) and the resolution (amount of detail in the picture).

Tools like picasa can be used to modify both variables.  You can also find free online download tools to do that for you.

Another option is in your Image Viewer application to save as JPG file type and modify the "resolution" or "image quality". You'll have to play with the settings to find the quality and file size mix you can live with.  Make sure to keep your original file separate so you still have option to print high quality.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2022 Views 6,990 Applies to: