How do I PERMANENTLY delete an Email

I am very confused as to why I must delete an email multiple times in order for it to be gone. I just want to click the garbage can ONCE and not have to go through a multi-step process to do so. Gmail does not require such a lengthy process. If you know why this is a useful thing I’d love to know. Otherwise I just want this feature gone.

What is the exact step by step procedure for setting up my Outlook program to delete an email immediately instead of going into another box for individual deletion later? I use the current form of Office 365 Outlook. Please do not ask for screenshots or information about my system. This is not needed information.  I just need an answer for this one question.

Thank you for your helpful information and your time.

Dear EndcatTheCat,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

Based on your description, I understand that you have a concern with "How do I delete an Email" Before we proceed, we need more detailed information about the situation you are experiencing.

Please help us in isolating the issue by providing the following information:

1. Which office 365 subscription do you have?

2. What version of Outlook are you using? Go to File > Office account > About Outlook. See What version of Outlook do I have? (microsoft.com)

3. Have you tried shift + Delete to permanently delete emails?

We look forward to hearing from you, please let me know and provide a more detailed description so we can provide you with more specific assistance. Thank you for your cooperation.  

Sincerely,

De Paul | Microsoft Community Moderator

Sincerely

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Dear EndcatTheCat,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

Based on your description, I understand that you have a concern with "How do I PERMANTNENTLY delete an Email"

Basically, When you delete an item in Outlook, it goes to the deleted items folder. This is because sometimes users accidentally delete an item from Outlook, and instead of permanently deleting it, it moves to this folder, where the item may be recovered. If a user cannot find an item in another folder, he should search the Deleted Items folder, and he should clear it if he does not require all of the deleted items in it. In my understanding, this is a very useful functionality in Outlook since it may decrease the loss of emails that are unintentionally deleted.

Deleting emails immediately without going through the deleted items folder, you may select emails you want to delete then press the Shift + Delete keys at the same time, and a dialog box will appear informing you that the selected emails will be permanently deleted; choose Yes to proceed.

Here are some references:

1. Empty the Deleted Items folder in Outlook (microsoft.com)

2. Recover deleted items in Outlook for Windows (microsoft.com)

Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sincerely

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear EndcatTheCat,

Based on your description, I understand that you have a concern with "How do I PERMANTNENTLY delete an Email"

Basically, When you delete an item in Outlook, it goes to the deleted items folder. This is because sometimes users accidentally delete an item from Outlook, and instead of permanently deleting it, it moves to this folder, where the item may be recovered. If a user cannot find an item in another folder, he should search the Deleted Items folder, and he should clear it if he does not require all of the deleted items in it. In my understanding, this is a very useful functionality in Outlook since it may decrease the loss of emails that are unintentionally deleted.

Deleting emails immediately without going through the deleted items folder, you may select emails you want to delete then press the Shift + Delete keys at the same time, and a dialog box will appear informing you that the selected emails will be permanently deleted; choose Yes to proceed.

Here are some references:

1. Empty the Deleted Items folder in Outlook (microsoft.com)

2. Recover deleted items in Outlook for Windows (microsoft.com)

Your patience and cooperation are much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Sadly you failed to read my question above and instead answered with what seems to be a cut and paste answer. I will ask the question again in the hopes that someone else will answer with an answer to the actual question.

How do I dlete an email permanently without going through a three step process? I would like to turn off any function that sends my deleted email to a secondary location where I can recover it and a third location where i have to select it again to delete it. Shift + delete does not do it.

All I want to do is press delete ONCE and know that it is gone and not in a different location.

I hope this is a more concise question.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 1,314 Applies to: