How do I change the default search provider in Office 365 Home

How do I change the default search provider in Office 365 Home from Bing to Google.  For instance, when I hi-lite and right click on a word in an email it gives me the option to search Bing.  How do I change the search engine to Google?
Answer
Answer

Hello Brad,

As I understand you would like to change the ‘Search Engine’ when right click on any content within any Office application.

In order to change that you need to make changes to the Office registry keys.

Follow the steps provided below on how to make changes to the registry key:

Disclaimer: Back up the registry key before you modify or delete any key by following the steps below.

For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, follow these steps to back up the registry:

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
  • Type in the following text, and then press Enter.
  •          regedit
  • If the User Account Control window appears, click Continue.
  • On the File menu, click Export.
  • In the File name box, type a name that you will remember, such as Registry Backup.
  • Select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file.
  • Click Save.

1. Click Start->Run (Windows key + R key) and type regedit in the ‘Run’ command window ->click ok.

2. Locate the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Common\General

3. In the right pane of ‘General’ > Create a ‘New String key’ by right clicking on the anywhere in the pane and click on ‘String value’ and name it as ‘SearchProviderName’. Right click on it and click on ‘Modify’. Mention the search provider name’ as Google in ‘Value’.

4. Create another string key and name it as SearchProviderURL. Right click on it and click on ‘Modify’. Enter the value as http://www.google.com/search .

5. Once done, close the registry window and check if this as enabled the ‘Search with Google’ option.

For further queries, reply and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 3,013 Applies to: