how can i connect my hotmail account with outlook office 365?

I have just bought the licnse of office 365 for my surface pro 3 with Windows 8.1.

I was able to connect outlook with my gmail account immediately.

Conversely outlook cannot connect with my hotmail account: once I want add a new account, I have tried both the option with active  sunc as well as pop3, thus giving the corrent servers for incoming and sent emails.

Unfortunately Outlook cannot connect to the hotmail and is not even able to send a test email.

In case of active sync, I have got an emply account without my emails, while with pop3 I get error.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Whch Office 365 license did you buy?  Office 365 is a sevice.  It comes with Office 2013, which is a suite applications that run on your PC.  Some Office 365 licenses include access to the Office 365 servers, but others include access to the Outlook.com/Hotmail servers.
Brian

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Luigi,

In addition to what ‘Brian’ as mentioned, provide the complete error message you receive when the Hotmail account is setup as POP3.

Let us remove and re-add the Hotmail account using Exchange Active Sync (EAS) and then verify the results.

To configure the Hotmail account using Exchange Active Sync in Outlook 2013, refer to the following link and check if it helps.

http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-outlook/archive/2012/11/15/put-the-power-of-outlook-behind-your-outlook-com-email.aspx

If that doesn’t help, do get back to us so that we may assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just bought the licnse of office 365 for my surface pro 3 with Windows 8.1.

I was able to connect outlook with my gmail account immediately.

Conversely outlook cannot connect with my hotmail account: once I want add a new account, I have tried both the option with active  sunc as well as pop3, thus giving the corrent servers for incoming and sent emails.

Unfortunately Outlook cannot connect to the hotmail and is not even able to send a test email.

In case of active sync, I have got an emply account without my emails, while with pop3 I get error.

Do you have any suggestion?

Thanks

I'm having an issue similar to this...trying to connect my 15 year old Hotmail account to an Office 365 "Exchange Online (Plan 1)" account that we set up a couple years ago.  Cannot connect via POP, IMAP, etc.  It either tells me that the username and/or password are incorrect or have been rejected. 

Seems like this should be a seamless integration being that both products are from the same company. 

Any advice will be appreciated

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have two-step verification enabled for your Outlook.com/Hotmail account?  If so, you'll need to generate an app password to use with your username.  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-passwords-two-step-verification
Brian

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I also cannot connect my Hotmail account in O365. 

I get the following nonsense 

and also the following . When I clicked on 'Learn More' i got a page  not found. 

I also received an email from Hotmail stating :

"

Microsoft account

Unusual sign-in activity

We've detected something unusual about a recent sign-in to the Microsoft account ro*****@hotmail.co.uk. To help keep you safe, we've required an extra security challenge.

Sign-in details:

Country/region: Netherlands

IP address: 132.245.228.236

Date: 11/12/2014 19:03 (GMT)

If this was you, then you can safely ignore this email.

If you aren't sure whether this was you, a malicious user might have your password. Please review your account activity and we'll help you take corrective action.

Review recent activity

To opt out or change where you receive security notifications, click here.

Thanks,"

When I tried to add my gmail account, I saw the same nonsense and also received an automated email in my gmail Inbox stating the following

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***]. 

Sign-in attempt details
Date & Time: Thursday, 11 December 2014 19:43:54 o'clock UTC 

If this wasn't you
Please review your Account Activity page at https://security.google.com/ to see if anything looks suspicious. Whoever tried to sign in to your account knows your password; we recommend that you change it right away. 

If this was you
You can switch to an app made by Google such as Gmail to access your account (recommended) or change your settings at https://www.google.com/ so that your account is no longer protected by modern security standards. 

To learn more, see https://support.google.com/

Yours sincerely,
The Google Accounts team

It would appear that when I try to add/connect another email account in O365, the request cannot get past the security filter at the other account and is rejected, 

This is extremely frustrating. 

any help will be very much appreciated 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I probably should have responded to Brian sooner.  

I did not have 2 step verification setup on any of the accounts I was trying to connect.  However, I did set it up after it was mentioned on this post.  Then for whatever reason the accounts connected seamlessly using IMAP.  Though not a direct connection as you would expect from 2 Microsoft products.  I have and OWA account issued through the university that I went to that connects directly to my O365, but Hotmail requires IMAP.  go figure.  

I was having similar troubles as you surfing69....hopefully this will shed some light...I just don't get why this 'glitch' exists.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the exact same thing happening that's described here.  Did you ever find a solution?  Two step authentication is disabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

change your settings at https://www.google.com/ so that your account is no longer

> protected by modern security standards. 

Did you enable the Google setting to allow "less secure" applications to access your mailbox? See Allowing less secure apps to access your account.

Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been having the same issue an its been driving me nuts, but I finally found a solution that worked. I set up 2-step verification in my hotmail account and it went right through. Use these instructions to set up 2-step verification: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12409/microsoft-account-app-passwords-two-step-verification

Don't forget to generate an app password, this is the password you'll need instead of your hotmail password for Outlook 365. Make sure you remember the password (or copy it) and hit done after generating it. This is what worked for me.

You can also try different IMAP settings, the imap-mail.outlook.com doesn't work. Try this instead:

I hope this helps.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should be allowing Outlook 2016 autoconfigure the account instead of manually choosing IMAP or POP.
Brian

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2024 Views 19,752 Applies to: