Hotmail / Outlook blocking and blackholing messages

I run a community social network site with around 15,000 users. It is built around forums that can be participated in via web or email, so we generate a lot of messages. It's community supported, no advertising, no spam - email traffic is 100% its own users messaging each other (i.e. not unsolicited nor commercial). It's been running for several years, but we had a recent rewrite that resulted in massive performance improvements, including to email send rates, along with enormously improved standards compliance. Since then we've had problems delivering to all hotmail/outlook/office365 domains.

Old system:

• No bounce handling - system was sending over 4 million bouncing messages per month!
  • Ignored remote receiver limits - messages would retry continuously for weeks
  • Often massive message sizes, up to 25Mb each!
  • A bug meant some messages were sent in duplicate, causing up to 250,000 excess messages
  • No SPF compliance - every message was sent with a forged from address!
  • No DKIM
  • No TLS
  • Forward and reverse DNS did not match
  • Limited double-opt-in - users could receive messages at unverified addresses, but not post.

Despite this terrible spammer-like behaviour, we had little or no trouble delivering to hotmail.

New system:

• Bounce handling - every bounce is handled immediately and addresses removed from lists as appropriate - our real bounce rate is now close to 0.
  • Full deferral support, well behaved queuing of retries with exponential back-off.
  • Small messages, no attachments, linked images only from sender domain, all over TLS (with HSTS & HPKP).
  • Full SPF compliance - no forgery of from addresses.
  • Every message is DKIM-signed.
  • Full, verifiable TLS in and outbound
  • Forward and reverse DNS match
  • Full double-opt-in

So, you'd have thought that such a significant improvement in sending behaviour would improve deliverability, but as far as outlook/hotmail is concerned, the opposite is true. To start with we received rate limit blocks (no deferrals, just complete blocks), so we dropped our mail server's overall concurrency (across ALL domains) to 1, but it made no difference. I understand rate limits are necessary, but they should be implemented with deferrals, not blocks, and we do simply have a fairly large number of messages to send.

Because we now handle bounces properly, this has essentially resulted in unsubscribing every user from across all of these MS mail services, our traffic to hotmail has dropped to near 0, and we've seen a massive drop in activity, to much complaining from our users.

We have had some deferrals from yahoo, but nothing major, and no issues with other ISPs, but due to their popularity, hotmail etc counts for a fair proportion of our users.

What we are seeing now is straightforward black-holing - messages are accepted, but are never delivered to mailboxes, even if the sender's address is in my address book. Here's a (redacted) mail server log from a message I sent myself today, showing a perfectly good delivery that simply never showed up in my mailbox (or my junk mailbox):

Aug 18 00:02:01 [INFO] [-] [core] [outbound] Created transaction: 295909F6-3510-49D1-BB62-1BE01D8984A7
Aug 18 00:02:01 [DEBUG] [outbound] running send_email hooks
Aug 18 00:02:01 [DEBUG] [outbound] Sending mail: 1471478521810_0_20414_4326.cham01.example.com
Aug 18 00:02:01 [DEBUG] [outbound] running get_mx hooks
Aug 18 00:02:01 [INFO] [outbound] Looking up AAAA records for: mx2.hotmail.com
Aug 18 00:02:01 [ERROR] [outbound] DNS lookup of mx2.hotmail.com failed: Error: queryAaaa ENODATA mx2.hotmail.com
Aug 18 00:02:01 [INFO] [outbound] Looking up A records for: mx2.hotmail.com
Aug 18 00:02:01 [INFO] [outbound] Attempting to deliver to: 65.55.92.184:25 (0) (27)
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 220 SNT004-MC4F11.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions are found at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/anti-spam.mspx. Wed, 17 Aug 2016 17:02:02 -0700 \r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] C: EHLO example.com
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-SNT004-MC4F11.hotmail.com (3.22.0.9) Hello [92.243.0.0]\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-SIZE 36909875\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-PIPELINING\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-8bitmime\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-BINARYMIME\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-CHUNKING\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-STARTTLS\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-AUTH LOGIN\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-AUTH=LOGIN\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250 OK\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] C: STARTTLS
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 220 SMTP server ready\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [INFO] [outbound] secured: cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384 version=TLSv1/SSLv3 verified=true cn="*.hotmail.com" organization="undefined" issuer="Microsoft Corporation" expires="Apr 14 00:34:04 2018 GMT" fingerprint=A1:AD:33:1F:DD:42:DF:3E:33:89:C9:A6:39:DC:90:6C:EE:45:B8:4B
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] C: EHLO example.com
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-SNT004-MC4F11.hotmail.com (3.22.0.9) Hello [92.243.0.0]\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-SIZE 36909875\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-PIPELINING\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-8bitmime\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-BINARYMIME\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-CHUNKING\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-AUTH LOGIN\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250-AUTH=LOGIN\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] S: 250 OK\r\n
Aug 18 00:02:02 [PROTOCOL] [outbound] C: MAIL FROM:

There should be enough identifiers in there for someone with sufficient karma to track this down.

How can I fix this? It seems utterly ridiculous that we are being penalised so violently for improving our sending behaviour.

Thanks for listening!

Update: I have also submitted an E-form request to outlook support about this.

Hi, 

To clarify this matter, are you using the online Outlook.com or the desktop app? 

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Apologies for the late response - I didn't see your reply until today - I wasn't notified about it.

Neither. We are using a web app written in node.js, we're sending messages to all our users, many of whom are on MS domains. They may be using a mixture of hotmail, outlook.com, office, desktop Outlook, iPhone etc. It's nothing to do with the clients.

Since I wrote the original post on here, I was surprised to get a response from outlook support who said they would do "something", though didn't say what, and things have certainly improved since then. We no longer appear to be blackholed and messages are mostly being delivered, so that's great.

The SNDS rating system is very vague - we're still seeing occasional yellow (spam rating 10-90%) and red (spam rating >90%) status values, even though we have had only a single instance of a message being marked as spam (as reported by JMRP) out of about 25,000 messages we've sent, and that was done by a known, legit user - you can never tell what users are going to do! That our rating can go from green to yellow or red apparently arbitrarily while we do not change what we're doing suggests it's not an accurate measure.

We're happy that it's now working much better, but I see no reason why it should be so difficult to get to this point. Of course spammers should be made to suffer, but that shouldn't mean that legit senders should be too. Our messages are as innocuous and squeaky-clean as it's possible for legit messages to be, yet hotmail was somehow convinced they were 100% spam, which suggests their filter isn't up to much.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

An update on this.

Out of 250,000 messages delivered to hotmail addresses, we had one user mark 25 messages as spam. This caused our spam rating to go from green to yellow and stay there for a month, so far, and we're also seeing black-holing again. Obviously we disabled all mail being sent to that user and asked them not to mark messages as spam! The result of this downgrade was that deliveries were taking around 2 days, requiring 30-40 retries. The hotmail docs say that a yellow status is for sources detected sending between 10-90% spam; our spam reporting rate is a mere 0.0008% (and our actual spam rate is 0), yet this was apparently sufficient to qualify for yellow status on an apparently permanent basis.

I have made another complaint to hotmail, and I've been assured that it has been fixed, but this really should not have happened in the first place.

This whole approach seems utterly bizarre. It inconveniences users, destroys web communities, and massively increases traffic to hotmail mail servers, all while not reducing spam at all.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 25, 2023 Views 435 Applies to: