Fake hotmail emails about Apple purchase

I have a Iphone. I'm constantly getting obvious phishing emails with a attachment purportedly from Apple. It has a word attachment. It says - "Re : You receipt from Apple available #G2P-29882345456 Wednesday. 20/06/2018". I never open it because I know I never bought anything from the Apple store. I send the email to reportphishing@hotmail and I get a reply from Microsoft asking me to send the complete headers as a attachment.

In the early years of hotmail I seem to remember hotmail included the headers at the bottom of the email but now I have to click "view message source" and somehow copy it and send it. It brings up a popup window. Why doesn't hotmail just have a show/hide header button like other email programs and I can forward all headers. Why do I need to send a attachment??

Microsoft sends me this reply:

Please forward an unedited copy of the message that includes the X-originating IP and message headers. 

The easiest way is to send us a copy of the email as an attachment.

If you are using Outlook.com you can view the header by:

Click on the email

At the top right, click on the little arrow where it says 'Actions' or 'Reply’

In the menu, click “View message source”

In Outlook, see the following information on viewing message headers https://support.office.com/en-us/article/View-e-mail-message-headers-CD039382-DC6E-4264-AC74-C048563D212C?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

How do I send the email as a attachment? The support link doesn't really answer that.

Answer
Answer

Hi jt3219,

For you to be able to send the message source, kindly follow the instructions that were given to you by Microsoft and when you are already on the image source, highlight the information in that box, press Ctrl+C to copy, and paste it into Notepad or Word to see the entire header at once. Once you already copy the message source to Notepad or Word, save it and that's the file that you will send back to Microsoft as an attachment.

If you are using an Outlook app, you may refer to this article on how you can send an email as an attach file.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Mark

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,261 Applies to: