Error when adding work/school account in Windows 10

When I try to use the Add school/work account feature in Windows 10 to add my Office 365 Small Business Premium account in Windows 10, I get this error message instead: "Something went wrong. We weren't able to register your device and add your account to windows". This happens when adding the account to the Outlook Mail app, when signing in to the Office Mobile apps or when going through the Settings app. When adding the account to the Mail, you first get the error, then a message that the account was added succesfully. However, the account is only added to the Mail app, not system-wide (it is not visible in Settings). In the other cases, it fails completely and the account is not added at all.

The computers are running Windows 10 Pro (one is running Home). I am not using Azure AD - all users on the computers are signed in with Microsoft accounts. I have also tested with the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview with the exact same result.

Answer
Answer

i had this same issue. i fixed it by changing a setting in azure admin.

first go to the admin for office 365 and click on admin in the left menu, then azure ad.

this will open a new tab. if this hasn't been set up yet, go through the steps to set it up. pretty painless to setup a basic directory.

once azure is set up, click on your directory to access the settings.

once in your business's directory, you will see a menu at the top, click on "configure."

on the next screen, scroll down till you see "devices." make sure all users can register their devices with azure ad.

that worked for me, hope that helps!

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 37,851 Applies to: