Email to contacts with multiple email addresses

When sending email to a contact(s) with multiple email addresses (work, personal,.....) is there a way to select which address I want to use? Hotmail/Outlook seems to just default to the first email I have and does not give the opportunity to pick and choose.  Particularly irritating when one is sending a group email.  I thought the option used to be available before the latest upgrade but I am getting old....maybe it's just a feature I think would be useful and dreamt about in my younger days

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

To get better clarity on the issue please do let us know are you trying to send the emails to those persons who have multiple emails or you have multiple emails configured in your account. If you have added various email addresses to your account we would like to know how exactly have you added the other accounts? Are they added as an alias or the connected account? Also we would like to know when you login to your Outlook.com account through a web browser do you see Outlook Email at the top?

Please get back to us with the above information so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Juzar

In regard to your questions, I am sending from just one email account.  It is the recipients who may have more than one email address.  Unless I am doing something wrong when I type in a name to send an email to Hotmail defaults to the first address I have listed for the contact.  Sometimes I might want to send to his/her personal email address while at other times I may want to send to a work email address.  I can go into Contacts and select which address to use when sending an email to just one person but when sending a group email it is a problem and is particularly irritating.  Before the latest update I thought Hotmail allowed me to select which of a recipient's multiple email addresses I wanted to use when sending emails

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

Same problem here than iamahammerhead.

I have several contacts which have two or three differents addresses (personnal, work, etc.). When I'm trying to send a mail to a contact with multiple addresses, Outlook.com is always suggesting the first mail address and never the others one, even if I started to type the one I want.

Are your team aware about that problem? Are they working on it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When composing an email, start typing a name in an address field.

All addresses for that name will be suggested.

Choose one address.  The address will appear in the address field.  If the contact only has one address, the contact's name will appear.

Type the name again and select a different address.

You cannot go to People and select different addresses.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Ron Sommer for your answer.

Unfortunatly, your procedure is not working on my account. Either it's my web navigator or my account, I don't know.

Let's say I have a contact named John Doe with two mail addresses :

• (Personnal) : *** Email address is removed for privacy ***
  • (Professional) : *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

If I want to send a mai to his professional address, I'm starting to type "john" in the address field and hit 'Tab' key, only '*** Email address is removed for privacy ***' is popping out (see picture attached). I can't have a direct access to his professsional one.

I DO have a visual access to the two addresses mail when I'm clicking at the "To" button :

But when I'm clicking on "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***", the destination address field is filled with the first address of the contact, so *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

I didn't manage to insert "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***" without typing it completly into the address field. Even when I'm typing "society" then trying to autocomplete the address, the only popping address is the outlook.com one...

I hope my screenshots will help you to understand the problem I'm facing.

Thanks for you help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

People has changed.

I am seeing what you are seeing plus after I type a few letters, a name appears with Search People below the name.  Clicking Search People put the one name in the To field and did not go to Search.

When in People, you used to be able to click a letter to go to a list of names starting with that letter.  Now you have to scroll to that letter.

People is definitely broken.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your help.

That is kinda weird, because I still have the feature you're talking about in People... I can click on a letter to go directly there...

But ok, People seems broken, and it affects the way you can select contact when writing a new mail... What should we do about that? I think it's quite a critical issue to be fixed. Do you know if the dev teams are aware about that?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Ron Sommer your workaround works.  Thanks r_dillion.  Sorry for the late response.  For now this is what I need to do it seems until they fix it. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2024 Views 2,223 Applies to: