DO NOT WANT my facebook profile picture being sent with my emails. How do I remove?

I do not want my facebook profile picture being sent with my emails! I use my outlook email for business and this is highly unprofessional, and a huge invasion of my privacy. I was never asked if I wanted this to happen and now I cannot seem to find anyway to remove it! I have read many posts on this topic already and still cannot come across a solution, I have tried everything suggested.

For the record -

I have set my facebook search privacy settings so that only friends can find me by searching with my email address.
  1. Log in to http://profile.live.com.
  2. Click Change picture.
  3. Click Remove.
  4. Again, click Remove
I have done the above and have NO profile picture
I have not linked my facebook account to my email.

1. Sign in to your Outlook.com account.

2. Click the Gear icon beside your name located at the upper right corner your Outlook.com interface.

3. Click More mail settings.

4. Under Reading emailContent from third-party networks.

5. Under Showing public content, click Don't show public content from third-party networks.

6. Click Save.

7. Sign out and sign in again to your account.

Doing this only controls what I see in my email, NOT if recipients of my emails will see my facebook picture attached to the email or not.

I know my profile picture is being viewed with my sent emails as I created another outlook account and sent it an email from my original account. All I had to do in my 'new' outlook account was add my original email account as a contact and my facebook profile picture is there to be seen!

Frankly I am really angry about this, since my hotmail account changed to the outlook setting I have unknowingly been sending my facebook profile picture with business emails and to people I DO NOT want to see my photo.

How can this be fixed? There needs to be a clear option of allowing to be sent or choosing it to not be sent.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.*** 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Me too! I am also very angry about this! I never gave permission and dont want it. surely this must be a breach of privacy as the picture is imported from facebook without my knowledge. Have only just noticed it. Yet another major mistake my Microsoft. At least give us the option to remove it. Can see myself leaving hotmail/outlook after being a user of it for 15 years!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Everybody,

To remove your profile picture when sending emails, you need to disable the 3rd party contents.

Here's how:

1. Click the Gear icon beside your name located at the upper right corner your Outlook.com interface. 

2. Click More mail settings. 

3. Under Reading email, Content from third-party networks. 

4. Under Showing public content, click Don't show public content from third-party networks. 

5. Click Save. 

6. Sign out and sign in again to your account.

Feel free to post for any clarifications.

Thank you

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

And it didnt work !!!!!  In fact nothing works.  In the end I changed the picture to a picture of a sunset that I had on my desktop.  That will have to do.

No right whatsoever, taking my profile picture from facebook, and sending it out with my emails, without my knowledge and express permission.

Dam cheek

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi robertCROSTHWAITE,

I apologize for the delayed response.

I understand your frustration about your profile picture being displayed on your emails. For us to investigate on this, we need to gather information from you. Please read my private message area.

Note: You have to sign in to Microsoft Community to be able to see the link, click on the notification (which can be found at the top of the thread) that states "You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private message" section or by clicking the "Private Messages" tab.

Thanks!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is ridiculous. Obviously a lot of people are angry about this, why can outlook not just provide a CLEAR instruction, that works, on how to disable it?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello everyone,

We apologize for the delayed response and we understand your frustration with regard to not being able to remove the profile picture from Facebook that is being used by your Microsoft account.

Please be informed that when sending an email, the picture in the email sent will also depend on the recipient’s email service provider’s feature. For example, if the sender sent the email using the Outlook.com interface and the recipient is a Gmail account, the recipient may not be able to view the sender’s picture in the email because in Gmail, users have the option to add a picture for their contacts. The picture in the email will only appear in the sender’s Outlook.com and if the recipient is also a Microsoft account with Outlook.com interface.

If the issue persists after removing your profile picture, removing the connected services from your Microsoft account, and setting the Content’s from third party network to “Don't show public content from third-party networks”, we will need additional information from you so that we can investigate the issue further. Please provide the following in the Private Message tab that I have opened for you:

1. The affected email account

2. Your permission to access the account

3. Screenshot of the following:

•        Associated third party accounts - Sign into your accounr at https://profile.live.com and click the Manage option.
  •        Sample email with sender’s picture
  •        Profile picture

In order to get a screen shot, please follow the instructions on the links provided below:

- For Vista/Windows 7: Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

- For XP: Take a screen shot

- Mac Computers: Kindly refer to your computer’s help directory

Note: You need to sign into this website using your Microsoft account and click the link that states, "You have a private reply to this message. Click here to read it on our secure private messages section." or Private Messages across All Replies to see the tab.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in a similar situation, with a few slight differences, with my account being corporate and not outlook.com

I happened to be at work, and wandered by my colleague's desk, where I noticed he had an email open from me in his Outlook 2013. I saw my facebook profile picture (and not even my current one) being shown as my contact picture. Same scenario as the others here, however a few differences:

1) This is a Microsoft Exchange hosted account for my corporate email. This is NOT the email address I use for Facebook, it is completely different (my facebook uses a gmail account)
2) The user had a fresh install of Outlook 2013 (it was a new laptop). He had no idea how the picture got there.

I'd like to know a few things. The first one is echoed by everyone else on here - what in the heck were you (well, not YOU, but Microsoft) thinking trying to grab contact photos from social media? Sure I could marginally understand doing that if it was a) a personal email account and b) the account was tied to Facebook, but somehow managing to get my contact picture from a diffeent account, and using it for a corporate email account that is absolutely NOT associated with my private life should never have happened. It's a good thing the picture is innocent (me and my kid) but what happens if it wasn't? Do your product managers actually think this stuff through over there? Please ask them, I'd appreciate it. The only thing I can think of where they could tie in, is that I log into Windows 8 using the same email as my FB email. However, Outlook deciding to somehow make the connection between that email and my corporate email, is not acceptable.

Second, what are the steps to actually remove Outlook somehow associating my FB profile picture with my account? To access my corporate web email I need to log into Office365, however my profile picture there is completely blank. I also can't see anything in MY Outlook email client (Outlook 2010) where I could change this. My Facebook has always been locked down - only friends can get my contact information. It is disturbing that my colleague DOES have this picture associated with my contacts. I'd be pretty pissed if I found out that all of our customers were getting that picture too. If somehow people have my facebook profile picture as their contact photo, and I don't have the ability to remove it, I'll be pretty upset.

I look forward to your response. Needless to say, I'm not very pleased...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi CrackAttack,

I understand your concern about your issues you are getting when sending an email it come up with your old Facebook profile picture.

We cannot conclude as of now why this issue is happening on your account but we can provide you some steps for us to avoid this.

If you want to remove your Facebook profile picture on your Outlook email, please refer to the steps given by Kent_P for your reference. You can try the steps by signing in the web or simply go to https://outlook.com.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

didn't work for me - tried other solutions suggested by but picture is still there even though it was removed yesterday from my facebook page - I'll be leaving outlook for another provider since I've now wasted too much time on this issue - I'm also worried about what will be shared with contacts down the road as you seem to feel it's OK to share across sites without asking permission or making it easy to remove unwanted items. - I see from the date of your reply that this isn't a recent problem.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AlistairJohnston MacRae,

I understand that you are still having problems with your email account for having a profile picture from your facebook, let me assist you.

Please be informed to properly assist you with your concern I’ll need some information from you in a private message I just sent you. Sign in here and click on “You have a private reply to this message“, which is highlighted in red, to view the message.

Your patience is highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 21, 2020 Views 1,675 Applies to: