Display Name in "From:" Field for Outlook.com Exchange Email Accounts

All my IMAP email accounts are configured so that the "From:" field displays both my name and email address as "First Last <first.last_at_outlook.com>". I want to have my Outlook.com Exchange email account display the "From:" field the same way. But the only way my Exchange email seems able to display the "From:" field is: "first.last_at_outlook.com". (I had to use _at_ = @ to circumvent this forum's email address privacy restrictions.)

I've been told that outlook.com based Exchange email accounts can not be configured to display anything other than the actual email address in the "From:" field. I've also been told that organizations that buy an Exchange server license can configure the email accounts on their Exchange server to display both a full name and the associated email address. Are both these things correct?

Can anyone confirm if there's a way to have the "From:" field display "First Last <first.last_at_outlook.com>" when using a free, individual, outlook.com Exchange email account?

Thanks

Answer
Answer

Within the message header, your display name and email address are transmitted in the following format;

If you do not specify a Display Name, your email address is shown instead.

It sounds like, you want to make the email address a part of your Display Name as well. This means that you'll have to append it to your Display Name by editing your Last Name. In those cases the use of round brackets is recommended;

However, Outlook.com doesn't allow you to edit your display name in such a way. This is mainly to prevent confusion/spoofing as your Display Name could contain a different address than the actual address that you are sending with.

Is there any particular reason why you want your email address to be part of the Display Name?

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
https://www.howto-outlook.com
https://www.msoutlook.info

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2023 Views 420 Applies to: