Deleting mailbox search history in Outlook 2016

Hi

According to link below, if I delete Outlook Search registry key, deleting the key will delete the history that is shown when you click on the Recent Searches button on the Search tab but not the Search history that is shown when clicking in the Search field in Outlook 2016. Instead this history is stored directly within user's mailbox.

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/clearmru.htm

How do I delete this history which is stored to user's mailbox?

Hi IMK,

Generally, deleting the registry key 101f0445 will delete the recent searches history for a specific profile. However, if you search any keywords again after the deleting, the keywords will still be stored in your recent searches.

Additionally, based on my tests, there is no search history showed when clicking search box.

To better understand the situation and then provide proper assistance, please share more detailed information about “the Search history that is shown when clicking in the Search field in Outlook 2016”. Some screenshots will be prefer.

We look forward to your updates.

[Updated by Aaron Zhu MSFT, 14:16, Aug 18, 2016 (UTC)]

Best Regards,
Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Deleting that registry key delete's search history that is found behind "Recent searches" -button at the search ribbon (I saw this in my test's) but it does not delete search history that one can see when search bar is clicked. Myself and our user's can see this history when search bar is clicked. I also deleted the registry key from one user and it did delete search history behind "Recent searches" -button but not from search bar.

This search bar search history is save'd to user's mailbox (when email account is O365 or local Exchange server) and I have confirmed this from Microsoft support that it is by design that user can not delete this search history.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi IMK,

Sorry for the misunderstanding in my last reply. Now I understand you mean the search history showed after clicking the Instant Search box when using Outlook 2016. And yes, it’s not feasible to delete this kind of search history based on my tests and research.

Given the situation, I suggest you submit feedback to our related team via: https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273494-outlook-and-calendar. Many features have been upgraded directly based on our customers’ constructive comments.

Your understanding is appreciated.

Best Regards,
Aaron

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2024 Views 671 Applies to: