changing my hotmail email name

If I create a new primary email name in hotmail,  and delete the old primary email name....    will all my old emails (under the old primary email name) be accessible by the new primary email name?  

And if so, how will be able to get to them?

Note: I am asking because all of my identity was stolen and I want that old email name to exist no more (unless someone else picks it up in the future, which I doubt)

The bank manager told me to get rid of it, but I don't want to lose my old emails.  

Hi

My name is Daniel. I am an Independent Advisor.

First of all, I'd like to let you know this is a peer-to-peer support forum meaning I'm just fellow regular MS forum users like you who are trying to help other MS forum users with their issues. So in this case, I'm Non-Microsoft Staff I don't have access to your account nor I'm authorized to do so. I hope we can have a mutual understanding from the beginning to avoid misunderstanding.

Back to the main issue.

Unfortunately, no one here on this forum has access to your account. Please be advised, an account can only be deleted in two ways.
1) The account owner close the account on his own.
2) The account has been inactive for about two years hence the account will be deleted from the system. https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?linkid=2086738

In case you don't have access to your account anymore, then just leave it as it is because the account will be deleted after 2 years of inactivity. 

To answer your questions:
"be accessible by the new primary email name?" You can only access your account if you log in to the account. Unless you previously have set-up an alias, apparently it's not the case here.  

"And if so, how will be able to get to them?" It depends however you still have a chance to recover your account by filling out the account recovery form: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

You can also refer to Technical Advisor Paul Seymour in the following article because it contains helpful suggestions on how to recover an account: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

As per my experience, I needed to submit the account recovery form up to 5-7 times before my request was accepted. Sorry, there's no other way around. Account recovery staff will review your request, Please keep in mind this recovery process can take up to 24 hours or more depending on how many queries are being handled. Please note as fellow MS forum users I won't be able to help you beyond what you can do for yourself in the form.   

Kind Regards

I'm an independent advisor. I'm not a Microsoft staff.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

You totally misunderstood, so I will try to explain again. 

My BANK acct was hacked and taken over.  

I want to get rid of my old email name because it is used as an identifier for several of my business relationships, including my bank.  I don't think anyone got into my email, except for a person who I asked to get in there to help me tell the bank that my identity had been stolen.  I don't know this person well, so I want to get rid of my old email name just to be sure. 

So I want to change my hotmail email name, but still be able to access my existing emails from a new name.

Is that possible and how would I do that?  Can I just create a new primary name and then delete the old primary name, and will that save my existing emails?

Thanks

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me clarify this issue with 2 following questions. Please correct me if I'm wrong here to make sure we are on the same page

1) You have an old email account let's name it as account 1, this account has been hacked and you no longer have access to account 1. Am I correct up until this point?

2) Now you want to create a new email account let's name it as account 2, now you want to change the name of account 1 from account 2? Am I correct here to understand here?     

Kind Regards

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1) You have an old email account let's name it as account 1, this account has been hacked and you no longer have access to account 1. Am I correct up until this point?

I don't know if account was hacked or not.  I still have access to account1. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Now you want to create a new email account let's name it as account 2, now you want to change the name of account 1 from account 2? Am I correct here to understand here?    

I want to create an alias to account1 and lets name it account2.  Then I want to make account2 my primary alias and delete account1.

If I do that, will I still have all my previous emails from account1 - when I log into account2?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that my bank acct was hacked.  I don't know if the email was hacked or not. 

I want to get rid of account1 and then tell all my business contacts that I now use account2. 

Thanks for the help.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for clearing things up, I appreciate that.

1) I see.
2) "If I do that, will I still have all my previous emails from account1 - when I log into account2?" This topic has been explained in the following article or see the screenshot below. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-bil...

If you remove account 1 as an alias then it means account 1 will be permanently deleted from systems.

The deleted email address won't be able to be reused, Microsoft doesn't recycle the deleted account either the reason for this because to prevent hackers won't be able to re-use it to abuse it. It will be gone for good.

Before removing account 1 as an alias you need to make account 2 as primary alias first, it's recommended practice to save any info on account 1 before you removing account 1 as an alias.

If you have OneDrive files on account 1 then you can migrate the files to OneDrive on account 2 by using the cloud migration tool https://mover.io this tool is own by Microsoft.

"tell all my business contacts that I now use account2." The only way to go about this by telling them you have changed the email.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Additional security tips once you have successfully set up account 2 as the primary alias.
1. Please stop using SMS as a 2FA verification method because SIM card swap attacks are a common threat nowadays. This is a telco industry well-known vulnerability that hackers take advantage of. In the following article, I mentioned the danger of SIM card swap attacks, you can see a man lost his saving because of 2 SIM card swap attacks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/for...

2. I understand some banks still require SMS for 2FA, I suggest please buy another phone number only for bank SMS verification purposes. Do not ever, (I repeat once again, do not ever!) under any circumstances registering this new phone number to any account other than your bank account. Don't even use this phone number for your email account. Only you know that the phone number is for bank verification purposes, other people/party has no business knowing the purpose of this new phone number.  

If you don't want to buy the credits regularly for that number you can use a post-paid service instead which can be paid with a credit card. If you still have another mobile phone that you no longer use then you can use it for 2FA SMS only for banking. You don't need a sophisticated smartphone, you can use an old school phone as long the mobile phone can receive SMS. That's all good. 

In the following video, IT pros have a valuable discussion regarding the importance of using different phone numbers for your bank account. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNpphMz-w5w

3. To prevent identity theft.
The hackers have stolen your identity usually from your local computer, cloud or other 3rd party websites where you have submitted your important files. It's difficult to find out how strong the security system of 3rd party websites, it's better to be careful when you are submitting your sensitive files. 

However, on the other hand, managing sensitive files on your local computer and the cloud is relatively under your control. If you need to store your sensitive files on the cloud, please use the Personal vault folder, please refer to point #3 in the following article regarding the importance of a personal vault folder.

However, if you prefer using the offline method to store your sensitive files then I recommend using a USB flash drive with a fingerprint. Most of the time, the flash drive will not be connected to your computer, and when there's a time for you to access the important files it requires fingerprint authentication.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8An_XTrpW3M

More about advanced security tips can be visited here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/for...

DISCLAIMER:

There's a link above from the non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 26, 2024 Views 206 Applies to: