Can't add Exchange account to Outlook client for Android

Recently our employees have been unable to add their exchange mailbox account to the Outlook app for Android. Employees that are already connected are working fine but we can't get the Outlook app to work for new users. If I remove my account and then try and add it back again I can't. There is a help icon on the Add Exchange Account page that asks if you are having trouble logging in and if you are it says:-

There is currently an issue impacting Exchange on premise accounts when trying to log in with a populated domain or a domain\username combination. If the domain field is populated, remove it from the domain field. Then, try logging in with your email address of UPN. The Outlook Mobile Support team is unable to assist with this issue.

I have tried leaving domain blank and using just the username, I've tried leaving domain blank and using domain\username, I've tried username both in the form username and in the form username@domain. No combination works. Connecting to OWA in the browser works fine, it's just the Outlook Android app that doesn't work. I'm assuming this is something to do with the above error message. Does anyone have any workarounds or any more information?

Thanks.

|

Hi,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist.

We are looking into your situation, and we will update the thread accordingly.

Appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for your time and cooperation.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

HI Microsoft Survivor,

Good day!

Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist.

Based on your description, "Can't add Exchange account to Outlook client for Android".

You must have an Exchange account and an Android mobile device, there may be additional requirements established by your IT admin if you have a work or school account that uses Microsoft 365 for business or Exchange-based accounts. For example, if you have a company-managed device, an on-premises Exchange server setup for basic authentication, or your organization requires mobile app management for app security.

1. Open the Outlook app and tap on “Get started” Open Outlook app

2. Type in your Exchange mail address and tap on “Setup account manually”. Fill in your Exchange mail address and click on 'Setup account manually'

3. Choose “Exchange”. Choose account type > exchange

4. On the next screen type in your password and tap on the slider “Advanced settings”. Type your password and click on 'Advanced settings'

5. On the next screen, your full email address should be automatically filled in, enter the server’s name, enter you domain name, Type the password, enter the description, and Tap on the checkmark in the top right corner of the screen.

6. Fill in your details

7. You will be given the option to add another email account. Tap on “Skip” to finish the setup. Tap on 'SKIP' to finish the setup

8. Your Exchange mail is ready

For more, refer to Set up email in the Outlook for Android app (microsoft.com).

We are looking forward to your response! Thanks for your precious time. Have a nice day!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eleni,

We have been using the Outlook app for Android for years now. We have always been able to set up new users using the Outlook app for Android. This is a new problem that we noticed last week. Apparently it started last month according to this Reddit thread:-

Outlook for iOS and Android - an error occurred during authentication

The Microsoft Exchange team seem to have acknowledged that this is a bug introduced last month. See the comments in this web page:-

Released: March 2024 Exchange Server Security Updates

"We believe that we have identified the problem causing this. It is related to a service side change that was just timed similarly to when release of on-prem updates were released but is completely unrelated to Exchange Server CU or SU updates. Rather, it is related to a Cloud Cache service side (see how this works here: Using hybrid Modern Authentication with Outlook for iOS and Android | Microsoft Learn). We are working with the relevant service team to address. We are still investigating the details of this but this would explain exactly what is going on."

I was hoping to either find a workaround or an ETA for a fix since no-one has bothered to reply to numerous requests for a status update in the comments. I have tried all the suggested workarounds but none have worked.

Is this something you can help with?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We cannot setup new users in the Android Outlook app. This is a major problem for us and has been ongoing for at least a week. Can we please have some feedback from Microsoft on this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There is no "Open the Outlook app and tap on “Get started” Open Outlook app" option on the Android outlook.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI Microsoft Survivor,

Good day!

Thank you for Replying to the Microsoft Community. We are glad to assist.

This issue has been reported by a lot of users and after some more research, I noticed it is only limited to the new Outlook. Therefore I recommend you reach out to the dedicated support for the new Outlook within the application by following the steps below: How do I give feedback on Microsoft 365?

Our Product Development Team is committed to enhancing the customer experience by continually examining suggestions to include in the design and development of future product upgrades based on your suggestions. Hopefully, your suggestion will help many users in the future.

Thank you for your time and understanding. For other questions, feel free to add your post to the Microsoft Community team.

Stay safe and healthy. Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to log this using the link you sent but they refused to deal with it because it is not MS 365 related, it is on-premise Exchange related, even though I believe MS are now passing on-premise logon credentials via an MS 365 Cloud service. Anyway, I've managed to get a tracking ID for this #2404150050002970 by logging it with another team. Hopefully support can progress this now.

Other users are posting the same problem now:-

"As an institution, we have been experiencing the same problem since April 15th.

We have a very large number of Mobile users. Suddenly all users started having problems. We have internal Exchange system.

• On some phones I uninstalled the outlook software and reinstalled it. We tried to set up the account, but the user or password is incorrect message comes up. I even see the same error on the Exchange server, even though the user information is correct."

Let's hope they get this sorted quickly.

Thanks for your help Eleni.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Not sure if it will help you but I was able to connect our accounts over Exchange again today.

On the phone I just went to settings - Apps - Outlook - Storage

Then just cleared both data and cache.

After that I was able to add the email back in with Exchange. Worked on all the phones that had an issue.

Hopefully it will help you too.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for letting me know. Sadly I tried what you said but it still isn't working for me. I tried with the domain and without (prepending the domain to the username). You didn't do any updates on your Exchange server by any chance did you?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Darn, sorry to hear that. I did not. Its an exchange 2013 server and the last build was last year. All that changed for me was the app version to 4.2414.1

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2024 Views 232 Applies to: