Cannot sign-in to iCloud account on Outlook with app password

I'm trying to sign in to my iCloud email account on Outlook for Mac (version 16.67) on my 2020 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro (Ventura 13.0.1).

I have 2FA enabled on my iCloud account, so I have to sign in by generating app-specific passwords via my Apple ID. Every time I enter the app password I see an error message saying:

Unable to sign in. Try again or create an app password for this account.

I am copying and pasting the app password and ticking the 'show password' tickbox to check that it is correct. I have used the same process of generating an app password to sign into Outlook on my iPhone and it works. I have also tried signing in on Outlook for Mac using my actual Apple ID password, but I get the same message.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this?

Answer
Answer
Hello Andrew

I'm Diane, a Microsoft 365 Apps & Services MVP and I'll try to help you today.

Well, I tried to reproduce the error - and got the same error - then I realized when I copied the app password, it had an extra space at the end when I pasted it in (using keyboard shortcut).

Removed the space and it worked. It looks like selecting it is picking up a line feed - in the password field, it converts to a space.

If that is not the same issue for you -
Are you adding it as a Microsoft sync account (the default)?

-- Diane

Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.
--
Diane Poremsky
M365 MVP, specializing in Outlook, Exchange, and Microsoft 365 apps.

24 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2024 Views 2,565 Applies to: