Blocking a Sender in Junk Email Should Permanently Delete the Email

On my Outlook.com account, until today, right-clicking on an email in the Junk Email folder, and selecting Block, would permanently delete the email.  But now, the email is staying in my Junk Email folder, and not getting deleted.

Steps:

1) In Junk Email folder, right click on an email, and select Block

2) There is a confirmation pop-up listing the email address to be deleted.

3) Click OK

Expected behavior:

Selected / blocked email will be permanently deleted

Actual behavior:

Selected / blocked email remains in the Junk Email folder, and there is another pop-up at the bottom of the screen saying "Sender Blocked" with a button to "View Blocked Senders"

My spouse has an Outlook email account, and that account is working as expected, to permanently delete an email when it is blocked.  So, how to I restore the behavior to permanently delete an email when I block the sender.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

hi i am an independent adviser and would like to help you resolve your issue

it seems there is some misunderstanding .blocked email address never get deleted and email from blocked sender do get into junk folder only ..and this behaviour is noticed in every users account ,even in my account blocked email address email gets into junk folder .and email in junk folder gets deleted after 30 days automatically and permantalty

If issue persist please do let me know and I'll do my best on continuing to help you.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello cookiekantode, Thank you for your reply.  There is some misunderstanding.  It isn't the "email address" that I want deleted.  It is the email itself, when I take the action of blocking the address.

Up until today, that is the behavior I've had.  But now, when I right-click on an email in my Junk Email folder and select Block (to block the address), the email itself remains in the folder.  Prior to today, the email would permanently delete.

And as I said, my spouse email account is still deleting the email, when the Block is selected.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is not the right answer to the problem.  The problem is that the folder does not empty after you select block.  Read the original question again, it is described perfectly.  Junk mail stays and accumulates in folder when it should empty.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

is it that you have exceeded your block sender address list ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know but going through the questions in the Microsoft community, I saw that yesterday seems to have been the day that this happened and people utilized this forum to see if anyone had answers. I actually spoke with Microsoft support and they didn't know what happened either.  So now all this junk mail is                                                 stuck in the junk mail folder and accumulates until it automatically gets discarded after 30 days by date.  You can't even delete it because it goes into the inbox, just where I don't want it to go.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hicookiekantode, the issue isn't a 'sender' issue, other than I"m using the BLOCK sender function.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi auslaender, thank you for the information.  In my case, I can delete the mail out of Junk Email, and it did go to my Deleted Items folder. . . but then I have to go to Deleted Items to permanently delete it.  So I have to deal with it twice.  I like to review my Junk Email folder and keep it cleaned out, to make sure there isn't any 'good' email going to Junk Email.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

actually what i meant was this
->Block a sender
Note: You can have up to 1,024 addresses or domains in the blocked senders and safe senders lists. If you want to add more than that, try blocking domains instead of individual email addresses.

please refer to below article for more details
->https://support.office.com/en-us/article/mark-e...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Once again, the problem is not related to blocking an email address or a domain.  The problem is, when I use the Block function, the EMAIL itself use to permanently delete from Junk Email as soon as I block the sender.

But now, the EMAIL itself is staying in my Junk Email.  

I want the EMAIL to permanently delete, when I right-click on it an select Block

This screen shot shows that after I right-clicked on the "Gift Card" email and selected Block, the email stayed in my Junk Email folder, and I got the "Sender Blocked" pop-up

I EXPECTED the "Gift Card" email to be permanently deleted. and no pop-up.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What you wish to happen is simply not how Outlook.com's junk filter works. To Outlook.com, blocking means "put in the Junk Email folder." Blocking a sender whose message is already in the Junk Email folder does not delete that message and or subsequent ones. Blocking an address whose messages are already in the Junk Email folder has no effect because, as far as Outlook.com is concerned, they're already blocked.
Brian

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 7, 2024 Views 6,645 Applies to: