Accessing hotmail while travelling to India

During the years 2013, 2014 and 2015 I could not access my Hotmail account when I was in India.  What does not make sense to me is, I can access my work email account and some other institution's web accounts but not Hotmail.  My brother had to access his email (I had e-mailed him my itinerary) and print my e-boarding pass to return to the country where I live.

Please help me resolve this issue.

Thanks

Answer
Answer

We have recently implemented a security update called Familiar location protection to keep our customers’ accounts secure. The message "You haven't signed in from this location recently." will occur if you are signing in from a location more than 300 miles from your normal location. The Microsoft account service will prompt you for an additional challenge to complete the log in. Codes can be the date of birth, or receiving a code sent to your SMS number or alternate email if configured.

To prevent this you will need to configure your computer as a trusted device 

Given the new security measures, Account Settings requires an extra security, through the use of a security code.  Also known as 2 step authentication

If you mark your computer, phone or tablet as a Trusted Device, you won't be asked for any codes when you access these settings in the future.  To do this

1. Login your account here.

2.  Under Security & Privacy  Click on "Manage Advanced Security" 

3. You will see the "protect your account" page. Select any option to get a code, and request for it.

4. You will see a checkbox that says : "I sign in frequently on this device. Don't ask me for a code". Tick the checkbox, and enter the code.

Your computer/device is now Trusted. Whenever you use your account on that specific computer/device, you will no longer asked for a code. 

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2023 Views 692 Applies to: