How to Share Only One OneDrive Folder?

Hello:

The answer may be obvious and simple, but I haven't figured out how to protect my folders containing data.  For example, if I have the following OneDrive folders:

Folder 1

Folder 2

Folder 3

Folder 1 contains confidential data.

Folder 2 contains documents I am working on.

Folder 3 contains pictures, video, audio books etc.

The problem is when I either right click the folder or go into the folder and select everything (family pictures for example) and then right click and "Share a OneDrive Link" the url is placed in the buffer.  Then if I send an email and paste in the url the recipient's computer opens the url in their OneDrive Web and all folders are visible in the tree, to include, Folder 1 and Folder 2.  But, I only right clicked on Folder 3 to create the url.  For some reason no matter what I try everything in my OneDrive becomes visible.

What am I doing wrong?  How am I able to share a specific folder only, or specific files or photos contained in Folder 3 ONLY.  No matter what I have tried, everything is viewable to the recipient.  Even if I right click on one photo and create the url the same thing happens.  Full Access to my OneDrive is being granted and naturally this is a problem.

To compound the problem, if I right click on Folder 3 and select "More OneDrive Sharing Options" the same problem occurs.  I discovered this when a friend of mine told me he not only received what was meant to be viewed, but he was able to browse all my folders.  Needless to say, this blew me away.

The only thing I am trying to do is share some photos in Folder 3 with one person and that is all.

I appreciate any suggestions or resolutions. 

Thank You,

Eric

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2018 Views 529 Applies to:

Hi Eric,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps:

1. Remove all the links created earlier to share the files/folders.

2. Reset the browser being used.

3. Try to share the files/folders it again and test it.

You can also refer the below article:share files/folders and change permissions:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-and-change-permissions-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07  

Keep us posted if you face any issues on OneDrive in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you very much for the reply.  I recently discovered when sending only one file the recipient had access to my entire OneDrive which included personal and confidential data.  This is a major problem and hopefully you will be able to help as soon as possible.

Regards,

EB

Hi Eric,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps:

1. Remove all the links created earlier to share the files/folders.

2. Reset the browser being used.

3. Try to share the files/folders it again and test it.

You can also refer the below article:share files/folders and change permissions:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-and-change-permissions-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07  

Keep us posted if you face any issues on OneDrive in future. We will be glad to help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Eric,

Thank you for getting back to us.

Please let us know the below details:

1. Are you sharing the file using OneDrive app or OneDrive website?
  2. Did you check the issue with different browsers?

Could you check the issue sharing a Test file and let us know. Also I would request you to provide us the screenshots of the issue along with the recipients scenario of accessing all the shared file along with all other files.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Please let us know if you still need further assistance in this regard.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Sorry this didn't help.

I do apologize for the delay.  I haven't been feeling well and this is why I have not replied, but I will as soon as I am feeling better.  I wanted to  send you this note so you would know I did not forget.

E

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. Sorry to know that you were not well. Get well Soon.

Once you are fine, please try the above suggested methods and let us know the details so that we can help you further.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Sorry this didn't help.