Question

Repair Onedrive install in Windows 10

RS164 asked on

Is there a way to repair or diagnose a Onedrive install in Windows 10? I found a repair tool for Windows 8 but it refuses to run on Windows 10. 

The issue I'm having is the Onedrive service simply won't startup and thus no files sync (the icon never appears in the system tray). I can access the old files that were synced previously, but nothing new syncs. Going into Task Manager > Startup I can see that Onedrive exists but the icon is missing and cycling enable/disable does nothing on startup. Is there some way to troubleshoot how Onedrive is installed? It's pretty much useless on my machine at the moment.

I've attached a screen capture of what Onedrive looks like under Task Manager > Startup, it clearly looks like a corrupt install or dissociated link issue, I just don't know how to fix it. 

70 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
danielgr replied on

In my case this would not solve the problem, since apparently OneDrive was already installed but for whatever reason refused to start. Your hint however helped me find the solution for my case.

Here is how I solved my problem (OneDrive.exe failing to start no matter what I try, including everything else on this thread).

• Uninstall the OneDrive app
    • Open command prompt with admin rights (right click on the start logo). Then
      • In 32-bit Windows 10 (x86):  %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
      • In 64-bit Windows 10 (x64):  %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
  • Reinstall it
    • In 32-bit Windows 10 (x86):  %SystemRoot%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe
    • In 64-bit Windows 10 (x64):  %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe

I assume you can also run those commands by simply doing Win+R, then copy-paste them and press enter.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Daniel

94 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Sudheendra S replied on

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

You can try performing a reset of OneDrive and check if that helps. 

Be cautious when using OneDrive reset. It won't affect your files, but reset does re-sync all of your OneDrive data, which could take some time depending on the size of your data.

You can reset OneDrive by doing the following:

1) Press the 'Windows key + R' to open the Run Window.

2) In the Run Window enter the following: 

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3) Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4) If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following.  In the Run Window Enter: 

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Let us know the result. If you have further queries, we will be happy to help.

26 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress