Multiple Document folders appearing under "This PC"

I'm running the latest version of windows 10 64 bit pro (as of 8/19/15).  I've redirected all file folders under my user account folders to OneDrive, Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos and shared them with the home group.  The problem arises anytime I make changes to any of the listed folders  (Cut, copy, paste, new file, delete file)  produce multiple instances of the folder that I've preformed the action on under "This PC" in file explorer. Those copies remain there until I close and reopen Explorer. I'm at a complete loss whether it's the redirect or the share that's causing this but, it's most annoying.  I have turned on and off sharing with the home group with no change in behavior.  I have searched everywhere I can think of but, cannot find a similar situation.  Any help or suggestions on where to look for help will be appreciated.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for posting your query on the Microsoft Communities.

I understand how frustrating it can be.

How exactly have you redirected all file folders from User account folder to OnDrive, Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos?

Also, if you could send us a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing and also the screenshot of the File Explorer window?

How to include a screenshot in your post

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_other-windows_programs/how-to-include-a-screenshot-in-your-post/2594b08e-32a3-476a-85a6-b021181be7e4

Kindly reply us with more information and we will be happy to help you further.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I followed the instruction provided in safe mode-minimal and the documents folder appeared only twice under “This PC” after multiple transactions from desktop back to OneDrive\documents.  I preformed the same transactions in normal mode and I now have an even dozen copies of the documents folder under “This PC”.  The chkdsk operation found no errors.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have recently experienced this bug on a couple of laptops running W10. From its appearance after a few updates I would point the finger at the faint impression of beta-testing I get from the new OS version (ie, don't think it was happening on first upgrade, but is now) and can only hope something so fundamental as File Explorer is sorted out soon.

Luckily it seems innocuous enough (for me) and refresh (F5) removes all the phantom entries - temporarily at least.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've just noticed that I had 4 Documents folders/shortcuts under "This PC", I found this thread pressed F5 and 3 went away, so @tamburlane thanks for that!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Thank you for the update.

I am glad to know that your issue got fixed.

Let us know if you need more help from us.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have several versions of the "documents" folder now visible.

Which ones can I delete and how do I make sure that in future I only have one version?

I have just upgraded to W10 home.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pranav,

The issue isn't solved. It seems that whenever I save a new document into the document folder another shortcut is created under "This PC", pressing F5 refreshes the list and removes all but one.

This is not a major bug, it's not creating multiple folders, it's just that multiple shortcuts to the documents folder appear under "This PC" when they shouldn't. However it is still a bug and is still outstanding!

I don't believe it has anything to do with OneDrive and this thread should probably be moved elsewhere.

Thanks,

LJ

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pranav,

The issue isn't solved. It seems that whenever I save a new document into the document folder another shortcut is created under "This PC", pressing F5 refreshes the list and removes all but one.

This is not a major bug, it's not creating multiple folders, it's just that multiple shortcuts to the documents folder appear under "This PC" when they shouldn't. However it is still a bug and is still outstanding!

I don't believe it has anything to do with OneDrive and this thread should probably be moved elsewhere.

Thanks,

LJ

I would agree that this isn't a major bug however, I do believe it is related to OneDrive when it syncs to the cloud.  The system remains stable until you save or change a file that is synced to OnDrive.  During the Sync multiple document folders appear then disappear when the sync is finished.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I suggest you to check the issue with a different or a new Microsoft Account. If you have a different Microsoft account then sign in using it. I am asking this to confirm, if the issue is specific to your account or device. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Please reply with the results so that we can continue to assist you further on the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 10, 2019 Views 15,085 Applies to: