onedrive upload stalls when trying to upload a large namber of fotos

I'm using Windows 10 and Edge. When trying to upload a large number of fotos (>1000) to my onedrive space, the upload stalls after a small number of fotos. No reason is given. Same happens when using Chrome.

Question Info

Last updated July 20, 2018 Views 1,172 Applies to:

Hi Norbert,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forum.

Sorry to hear that onedrive upload stalls when trying to upload a large namber of photos. We need some information to assist you further.

1) Did you check whether the same issue occurs on Internet Explorer as well?

2) What is the total size of the photos which you are uploading to OneDrive? 

3) As you said "upload stalls after a small number of photos", does the issue occurs while you upload other types of files like Office/text files also?

Note: The time taken to upload or download a large amount of data from OneDrive depends on your Internet connection speed/how close you are geographically to our servers/how much your Internet service provider lets you upload in a day/the speed of your computer and other factors. Refer to the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Maximize-upload-and-download-speed-8eeadfb8-501f-406d-997b-98ab6ff67f43

Let us know if you need any further assistance with the issue. We are here to assist you. 

Thanks and regards.
T Kiran Kishore.
Forum Moderator OneDrive, Support Engineer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kiran,

thanks for your ultrafast response! And sorry for my late answer.

From your answer, I learned that I didn't explain my problem very well. Let me try again. I prepare common ground by introducing some terms for our discussion. 

To my understanding, Onedrive has two user interfaces: a web interface via the browser, an app interface via the Onedrive app. Onedrive has two modes of operation: upload/download and sync. 

I want to use Onedrive as a simple backup facility for my several thousands of fotos, and what I need for this purpose is the upload/download mode of operation. I distrust sync mode: When the network is slow and your local processes are fast and mostly touch a large number of files, sync mode possibly endangers the consistency of your files and folders. That is why I was sure to need the upload/download mode of Onedrive.

Now to the Onedrive user interfaces. To my understanding, the "native" interface for the upload/download mode is the web interface. But ... when trying to use either Chrome or Edge, the upload stalls after several fotos, approx 60. The size of my fotos varies between 4 and 24 Mbyte, I have fotos in both jpg and dng format. I didn't interleave any Office docs with my fotos, that makes no sense for me. I think you understand that uploading 5000 fotos in chunks of 60 fotos is not the thing I'd like to do. 

After this experience, I decided to try out the Onedrive app interface. By right clicking the Onedrive icon in the Windows tray I found the "settings" facility of Onedrive, and--to be honest--I was a bit disappointed to learn that the Onedrive app only offers "sync", obviously presupposing a common understanding of what "sync" is. The least to say is that that is much less than offered by the wonderful SyncToy tool of Microsoft: This tool knows different kinds of sync, namely "Synchronize", "Echo", and "Contribute".

To come closer to my goal of using the Onedrive app in an upload/download mode of operation, I decided to deselect the folders to be synchronized in the Onedrive app settings facility. Funnily enough, the onedrive app immediately discards all files in the local Onedrive folder. What is that good for?

Now my final proposal for a backup workflow via the Onedrive app: Copy (never move!) your fotos to the local Onedrive folder (which implies that you have abundant local disc space), then let the Onedrive app do the upload work over night, and then on the next day deselect the sync option for the folder that you uploaded the night before. All copied fotos are discarded from the local Onedrive folder, which recovers a lot of disc space. 

Is it really that what the designers of the Onedrive app had in mind?

Are there any better ideas?

Best regards,

Norbert

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Norbert,

The sync factors that you have mentioned in your reply are correct, as you have mentioned that upload stalls while upload photos through Chrome or Edge.

Do you receive any error message/code?

For issues with the app, are you OneDrive for Business or OneDrive personal desktop app?

Asmentioned in the previous reply the time taken to upload or download a large amount of data from OneDrive depends on your Internet connection speed/how close you are geographically to our servers/how much your Internet service provider lets you upload in a day/the speed of your computer and other factors.

You may also share your thoughts in the OneDrive User Voice forum, which is frequently monitored by the OneDrive designing team.

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive

Keep us posted on the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest, speed is not my problem. My problem is that OneDrive stalls completely when uploading a large number of photos via a browser. There is no error message. I'm using OneDrive as it comes with Windows 10. Business or not -- who knows?

best regards,

Norbert

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Which browser are you using to access OneDrive?

I suggest you to monitor the function of OneDrive in different web browsers and check for the issue.

In Windows 10, we are Choose folders option, in which you can choose folder that you need to sync on your computer. By doing this you can save space on your computer.

To set the folders that get synchronized, use OneDrive settings from your computer's notification area on the right side of the taskbar.

1. Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.)

2. Click Settings.

3. On the Account tab, at Choose folders to sync on this device, click Choose folders.

4. To make all your OneDrive files available on your computer, check the box at Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive.

5. To have fewer files on your computer, under Sync only these folders, check the boxes for the folders you want to sync.

Note: You may try the above feature if you are interested in using the OneDrive desktop app.

Do get back to us with the results to guide you better.

Sorry this didn't help.

More and more, I get the impression that you do not read what I've written. I'm no longer interested in this discussion.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.