Can't use OneDrive: You don't currently have permission to access this folder

I just performed an upgrade from Win7 to Win10.  I had OneDrive installed before the upgrade, and while I hardly used it (only a couple of files in place to test with) it worked.  Following the upgrade to Win10 I can not get OneDrive to work for me.  Situation:

1. Start OneDrive
  2. Get "Welcome" screen, click "Get Started"
  3. Sign in with existing Microsoft Account
  4. Prompt to choose location for OneDrive folder; pick c:\users\[myname]\OneDrive
  5. Select "Sync all files and folders"
  6. Uncheck "Let me use OneDrive to fetch any of my files"
  7. Syncing begins and my disk activity goes to 100%
  8. After about 30 minutes OneDrive returns an error that states "We couldn't access c:\users\[myname]\OneDrive\Documents".  At this point syncing stops and my only option is to reconfigure OneDrive.

My conclusion is that OneDrive is doing something to change / reset permissions between steps 7 and 8.  I've tried this multiple times and have validated that I have full access to the OneDrive folder early in the sync (I can create and edit files in both the Documents and Pictures folders), but by the end those permissions are gone and the error noted above presents.

Things I've tried:

• Have OneDrive create it's own new directory structure in step 4...same result
  • Had OneDrive use an existing directory structure that I manually set full permissions on...same result
  • Tried resetting OneDrive via: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset...same result

What else can I try?  I have an Office 365 subscription that I am about to activate, primarily for the increased OneDrive storage.  If I can't get it to sync a handful of text files it doesn't give me much hope to expand my use of it.

Question Info

Last updated April 30, 2018 Views 2,136 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I can understand the inconvenience caused and will be happy to assist you with the issue.

This could well be a permission issue or the location or the document is corrupt. I suggest you to move the OneDrive folder to a different location and check if the issue persists. To do this I suggest you to follow the article below and check if it helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/wiki/odoptions-oddesktop/move-the-onedrive-folder/147dade2-830b-46ee-bf7e-36a8eab9446a

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This certainly appears to be a permissions issue, but one that OneDrive seems to be causing.  To demonstrate:

• I created a new folder that has never before existed on my machine: D:\New OD Folder\
  • Once I redirect OneDrive to this folder, you can see that I have full control over the folder OneDrive creates here:

• OneDrive creates a Pictures directory, which it gives me full access to:

• It then starts working on the Documents directory.  Initially it gives me full control:

• But then it seems to change permissions and the sync fails:

At this point I'm back to where I started in that nothing has been synced and I need to reconfigure again.

Why did it remove the permissions it created initially on my Documents folder?  This seems to be the source of my problem.

Other suggestions?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have also made the same file changes like mjsfbgtx and still have exactly the same situation.

Sorry this didn't help.

Found a solution, I hope it works for you too.

>>

So the third time, I started off the OneDrive process and then once it started I immediately went to my OneDrive folder and clicked all the folders.  Music, Pictures, and SkyDrive camera Roll all had that same problem.  I clicked the OK button with the system icon to grant permissions and I presume I did this before the OneDrive application got to those folders.  It worked fine that time and OneDrive proceeded and began it's sync.

<<

It was posted here by user dnmartin98:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/onedrive-in-10166-we-couldnt-access/1029762d-3620-45be-94b5-e81be220903b?page=2

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem descriptions above is bang on what I've seen. Same Win 7 (Pro) upgrade to Win 10. Same errors on OneDrive.

>>

So the third time, I started off the OneDrive process and then once it started I immediately went to my OneDrive folder and clicked all the folders.  Music, Pictures, and SkyDrive camera Roll all had that same problem.  I clicked the OK button with the system icon to grant permissions and I presume I did this before the OneDrive application got to those folders.  It worked fine that time and OneDrive proceeded and began it's sync.

<<

Tried the steps you did above and for each step in the "Configure OneDrive"-guide I clicked through all folders. I could access all of them every time UNITL I performed the last step and finished the guide. Something then went to the "Documents" folder and changed the access on the folder so I needed to grant access. Hopefully I got to the folder before OneDrive and it will be resolved and stay resolved now.

Kudos to Lady-Aesop for this. It's the most promising step so far since I now see synced files in all folders. I'll feedback tonight if and when all is synced and it survived a few re-boot, adds and deletes of files etc. to see it keeps syncing.

But the basic problem that something in OneDrive messes with the privileges on my folders gives a less than safe feeling for me...

//Dan-Erik

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything synced after the steps above.

I'll feedback tonight if and when all is synced and it survived a few re-boot, adds and deletes of files etc. to see it keeps syncing.

Changes came through (validated on another PC that they really where uploaded and synced down to that PC). All worked. Then a re-boot test....

and.... Nope!! The fix didn't survive a reboot once. Restarting the PC I quickly went to the OneDrive folder and clicked through all folders and one folder again didn't allow me access without granting it manually (the lower left one in the picture. Picture taken after I had granted access manually).

Picked four folders and looked at the permissions. As seen below they all have different access privileges. All folders are owned by the logged in user. None is shared to others (as far as I'm aware).

Same folders still sync to the other PC (a company laptop with Win 7 Enterprise installed). I'm using the same Microsoft account to access the OneDrive in that PC, but a different user to login on the PC.

Anyone have any ideas on how to continue? I don't want to start a refresh and re-install all non-Win-store software and drivers again to see if that helps  :-/

BR

//Dan-Erik

Sorry this didn't help.

...and back to square one...

This time I do have access to all folders (clicked through and accessed all folders at login) and it still I got this message after a few minutes:

:-(

BR

//Dan-Erik

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I suggest you to try resetting OneDrive from the steps below and check the issue status.

1.     Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.

2.     In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3.     Click OK.  The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.

4.     If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following.  In the Run Window Enter: 

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Note:   If users have used selective sync to un-map one or more folders and do a /reset, their selective sync settings will be dropped. A known issue here can cause OneDrive to restart and think that all of these folders should be un-mapped so it will appear to the user as if all of their content was deleted.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, after hours of troubleshooting this issue to no avail I've given up.  

I rolled back to Windows 7, reinstalled the OneDrive app, and 5 minutes later I'm fully synchronized.  If only it were that easy in Windows 10.

Get it figured out Microsoft!

Sorry this didn't help.

Do I need to have Admin priviliges for the above step? Or can I run this as a regular user?

BR

//Dan-Erik

Sorry this didn't help.