Some photos in OneDrive web app do not display thumbnails

I have all of my photos on OneDrive and they are meticulously organized; however, when I view them online through the OneDrive webpage, some of the thumbnail images do not display.  The images are there and can be sync and/or downloaded, but they show online as what I have included below.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Mathem,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I would like to know the details below to a better clarity about the issue.

1. Did you make any changes to the OneDrive settings prior to the issue?
  2. Did you try accessing https://onedrive.live.com/ from different web browser and checked for the issue?
  3. Is all photos of the same file format (.jpg, .png etc.,)?

Get back to us with the required information to assist you better.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Sudheendra,

This issue has been plaguing my photos for quite some time.

1. I did not make any changes to the OneDrive settings.
  2. I have had this issue with Chrome, Explorer, and now Edge.
  3. The issue occurs with random jpg photos.

I just went to a folder to compare the information of two files - one has a viewable thumbnail and one does not.  They both register as jpg files on the OneDrive web app; however, the one without a thumbnail just immediately downloads when I click it (as opposed to the one with the thumbnail, which opens a photo viewer in the OneDrive web app).  Once the file with the non-thumbnail downloads, I can open it and view it fine with the Photo app in Windows 10.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Roy Simpson

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the delay in response.

When you say you have compared the information of two files, are you referring to the original files on your computer(not on OneDrive)?

What happens after you download the photo that does not show thumbnail? Does the issue occur with the same photo?

To investigate further download both files on your computer and check the file properties. Look for changes.

Get back to us with your observations.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having the same problem.  When I select the photo with the thumbnail it displays properly.  When I select the file without the thumbnail it downloads before displaying.  Both or JPG file types.

I also set up a photo album for the folder.  The album displays the photos with the thumbnails but does not display the files without the thumbnails (as though they are not recognized as photo/JPG).

Sorry this didn't help.

When you say you have compared the information of two files, are you referring to the original files on your computer(not on OneDrive)?

What happens after you download the photo that does not show thumbnail? Does the issue occur with the same photo?

To investigate further download both files on your computer and check the file properties. Look for changes.

Hi Anish,

I'm sorry.  I went to OneDrive online and looked at two different photos.  One had a thumbnail and one did not.  When I click the one without a thumbnail, it immediately downloads.  When I click the one with a thumbnail, it opens the image in an online web viewer (the OneDrive picture viewer).

Once the file with the non-thumbnail downloads, I can open it and view it fine with the Photo app in Windows 10.

The issue occurs with the same photos.

I downloaded a few samples and this is the result.  Whether it has a thumbnail online or not, the image is fine once downloaded.  All extensions are either .jpg or .JPG.  The properties all say these are jpg images.

HOWEVER

When I go to OneDrive (online) and look at the properties of the images without thumbnails, they are called jog files whereas the images with thumbnails are called jog images.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Anish,

I'm sorry.  I went to OneDrive online and looked at two different photos.  One had a thumbnail and one did not.  When I click the one without a thumbnail, it immediately downloads.  When I click the one with a thumbnail, it opens the image in an online web viewer (the OneDrive picture viewer).

Once the file with the non-thumbnail downloads, I can open it and view it fine with the Photo app in Windows 10.

The issue occurs with the same photos.

I downloaded a few samples and this is the result.  Whether it has a thumbnail online or not, the image is fine once downloaded.  All extensions are either .jpg or .JPG.  The properties all say these are jpg images.

HOWEVER

When I go to OneDrive (online) and look at the properties of the images without thumbnails, they are called jog files whereas the images with thumbnails are called jog images.

I have the SAME problem and it driving me nuts!!! Microsoft PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the EXACT same problem.  It seems that OneDrive isn't recognizing some of the files as photos and are treating them as documents - only when download are they treated as photos.

This only happened recently (within the past week) - (and I didn't change any settings to OneDrive - although OneDrive could have changed some settings independently).  There have been some Windows 10 updates that could be the source of the issue?

Sorry this didn't help.

This will not be a Windows 10 issue because it is independent of Windows 10 (it is occurring in the web app, not the desktop File Explorer).  Moreover, it was an issue for the same files when I was using Windows 8.1.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, I've found out a little more about the behavior of this "feature". 

==>If I move/copy the photos to the OneDrive folder on my computer and let OneDrive transfer the photo the cloud I have the issue that the file is not recognized as a photo and is treated as a document.

==>If I upload the photo from the web application it uploads correctly and appears with the thumbnails, et.al..

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I originally thought that as well, except that the group of photos that I attached in my original post were all uploaded via the OneDrive folder on my computer.  Notice that most don't show thumbnails, but there are quite a few that do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 8, 2020 Views 10,267 Applies to: