random photo thumbnails not displaying after uploading

Original title: Missing thumbnails

Like so many others I've the same problem with random photo thumbnails not displaying after uploading and I've tried the same fixes listed elsewhere (trust me on this!)....still no solution.  I don't use a laptop (though I have borrowed one which runs Win 7 to check the problem...it still persists) and rely on my tablet but use both the android app and access onedrive via the browser but it makes no difference.  It roughly affects about 10% of my photos.  The only other thing that I can mention is that when the uploads have taken place, the thumbnails DO appear in the uploads completed page....it's only when I then try to look at them in their folders that the thumbnails disappear for ever!!!! Why!!!! Please, support, don't ask me to try the same fixes again that have failed others, the tags and other exif data are critical to my backup workflow.  If I re-download then photos, everything is intact inc. the thumbnails....so I know that no information is being lost....I just can't see the thumbnails.

Like others have mentioned...I'm unwilling to pay for more storage if the thing won't work correctly!!! Note to Microsoft....Flickr offers 1Tb storage space for free; if you want to keep your thus far loyal customers you have to solve this pretty damn quick.

John

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi John,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community Forum. 

I understand that you are not able to view the photos thumbnails after uploading.

We need some information to narrow down the issue.

1) What are the fixes you have tried in order to display the photo thumbnails? 

2) On which of the photo formats you are not able to view the thumbnails? Is it PNG/JPEG/GIF any other photo format?

3) Did you check whether the issue persist by accessing the OneDrive.com through different browsers on the Windows 7 computer as you said "I have borrowed one which runs Win 7 to check the problem"?

Kindly let us know the required information for further assistance with the issue. We are looking forward to assist you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kiran

Thank you for your reply....I have tried all the fixes set out over four months in the thread that started way back last August, they can be found here....

http://answers.microsoft.com/

I only use JPGs and there seems to be no difference in the details between those that do display and those that don't.

I have tried both the Chrome and Edge browsers, but the results are just the same. The laptop I borrowed was orginally  a Win 7 machine but had been upgraded to Win 10, hence the use of Edge rather than IE.  However, I have had the opportunity to try with an older Win 7 laptop and I can confirm that the problem persists.

John

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. We have tied to reproduce the issue from our side. We have uploaded the sample images (.JPG) to the OneDrive and we are able to view the thumbnails of the uploaded .JPG images. I suggest you to try to access the OneDrive.com through different network/device, upload the sample images (.JPG) in the different OneDrive location and check if you are able to view the thumbnails of the uploaded images.

Let us know the status of the issue if you need any further assistance. We are happy to assist you.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok....as you suggested, Ihave tried to upload a sample jpg from a laptop running Win 10, tablet running Android Kitkat, and phone running Android Kitkat using my home wifi network, a public wifi network and my mobile data network, also using both the app and via the browser (Chrome, IE and Edge).  The results are all the same....no thumbnail.  I attach a sample photo foryou to test.
I can confirm that this photo loads cottectly with both Drive and Dropbox
John

Sorry this didn't help.

Excuse me for asking.....is there actually anyone in Microsoft Support addressing this issue?  It's not only me that has this issue as anyone can see from other threads.  It feels as though we don't matter any more. For sure, I won't be spending my cash on the  extra storage I need if this can't be sorted.  I note elsewhere that this was raised FIVE MONTHS ago.....really not good enough if you are serious about wanting to sell us cloud storage.  Thus far I stuck with Microsoft products...however, I've tested on Google Drive some of the photos that Onedrive won't display and they appear fine.  It's only the hassle of moving so many photos to another cloud storage that's holding me back.
Microsoft please note....ONE more week or I'm away to Google and would reccomend that others having this issue do the same.
John

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I guess that's it, guys.....no replies from support, still the same unresolved issue, why should I spend my money with you.  
For your information....my photographs display just on Google Drive, that's where my storage money is going to be spent!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem

it occurs when the onedrive app, not the windows 10 app, but the program, syncs files.

if i drag and drop, this problem vanishes.

its quite annoying but at least its some sort of solution, but not a good one. i dont want to have to drag and drop each time i have a few hundred files to upload

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with OneDrive's thumbnail display.

This is a known issue. It only happens when a picture does not have metadata/date taken of the picture on it. That’s the reason they do not show the preview with all pictures which lack the same information on them.

Kindly check for the pictures details for the one preview shows and for the one on which it does not and you can verify that whether the one which does not shows has metadata/ date created on them or not.

I suggest you to enter the dates for the pictures taken or you can download them from www.onedrive.live.com and then upload them manually using the web browser.

Let us know if you need further assistance in this regard. We will be glad to help you.

Sorry this didn't help.

fix this issue

this is NOT a problem with other cloud services

jpg is jpg no matter what metadata is in there or not

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Kurt,

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. I would like to let you know that our product development team is aware of this and looking into it. We'll update on this as soon as a fix is released for this.

Until then, please follow the steps provided by Vinodh_Kumar as a work around. We appreciate your continuous patience.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 7, 2019 Views 1,344 Applies to: