OneDrive icon overlay - green ticks / checkmarks - missing in most folders (but not all).

I transferred the files in the OneDrive folder from one computer to the one in another, now running windows 10. After onedrive spent some time checking for changes, all files and folders seem to be well and in sync, but, despite the fact that I see green tick icons in all folders when accessing them through another program`s "open file" box (ms word, for instance), when opening the folder in windows file explorer, I can only see a green check mark in one of them. Why are the icon overlays not displayed in all the folders? How to fix this? Thanks a lot in advance!

EDIT: Ok. I finally got that figured out. Those green tick / check marks, as well as the other OneDrive signs on folders are all Icon Overlays, meaning they are icons that are overlaid over the normal folder icons. Problem is, there is a Windows limitation (even in Windows 10) that only allows 15 Icon Overlays to be loaded and displayed per session. I had other software installed that used these resources, and thought that maybe this could be the reason why they were not showing up.

What i did was to shut one drive down, throw the temporary files from the 'temp' and the '%temp%' folders - found through the run module (windows button + R) - in a 'delete' folder created by me (not all the files will be deleted, but that is ok), then I performed a System file check, and finally edited the windows register (back everything up before doing any changes). Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcon‌​OverlayIdentifiers. I deleted the 4 folders with no name that were sitting higher in the folder tree, as well as the spaces in the beginning of the names of the folders that were higher than the ones relative to Onedrive / Skydrive (so, after f5 refreshing, they went to the bottom of the list, leaving the OneDrive / Skydrive ones on the top). After rebooting, all the OneDrive icon overlays where there.

Here and here is where I got the insight from, and I just found an official Microsoft workaround here.

Question Info

Last updated August 14, 2018 Views 41,469 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

File Explorer icons show you the sync status of your offline folders and files.

• It’s in sync with online version.

• It’s getting in sync.

• The version on your PC is out of sync. To find out why, go to the right side of the taskbar, right-click (or press and hold) OneDrive , and select View sync problems.

For more information:

Fix OneDrive sync problems with Windows 10, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Hope this helps.

5 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Anish! Thanks for answering! Unfortunately the link was not of much help...

Sorry this didn't help.

Apparently you don't understand what's happening. NO "sync status" is given in OneDrive or OneDrive for Business. Only the files and folders are shown. None of the three options you offer (in sync, getting in sync, out of sync) are shown. Only the regular folders are shown.

So what now?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI, can I remove these green ticks? Thx

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Donald,

I would like to inform you that, These icons are indications of sync status of your offline folders and files. These icon cannot be removed.

If you have any further queries feel free to post on Microsoft Community.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Sorry this didn't help.

I know this response is from Microsoft and all, but it's not entirely accurate. 

The green ticks can be removed from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

One of the entries in there is responsible for the green tick if I'm not mistaken (I have just uninstalled OneDrive For Business forever, or I would tell you exactly which entry it is). Of course, one must use extreme caution when altering the registry. Be sure to make a backup.

If MS wants to only give us fifteen entries in the overlay area, they could remove the green ticks and give us an extra. If there is no symbol on the folder, we'd just know the folder was sync'd.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing this information on this forum.

I am sure this will help other users who face the same issue.

I appreciate your efforts.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Anish (or anyone else from Microsoft),

I have disabled OneDrive and also removed it from the navigation pane on my windows 10 laptop but these icons are still showing.

Do you know why they are still there and how can I remove them please?

Thank you. :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pete,

We can not uninstall OneDrive in Windows 10. However, you may refer the below article on How to Completely Disable OneDrive and refer to the section Disable OneDrive in Windows 10. Check if that helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/wiki/odoptions-oddesktop/how-to-completely-disable-onedrive/b97a8336-62e7-476c-872c-3286c0a01cf6

Keep us posted if you face any issues on One Drive in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you. Let us know if you need further assistance in this regard.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on One Drive in future. We will be glad to help you.

Thanks & Regards,
AS

Sorry this didn't help.