Onedrive wont play video in browser any more

Used to work fine, and still does on the ipad app, but none of my video will play in chrome on macbook.  Is this a common problem?  They worked fine until very reecently, and i've just uploaded a new one and noticed that none of them will play.

Question Info

Last updated December 7, 2019 Views 1,854 Applies to:

I have the same issue for almost a month now. Rough translation of the error message I get for all videos is "Sorry, there was an issue loading the video". No other explanation, no additional troubleshooting info.

I found a workaround in chrome:

1. open the video you want to play

2. on the right side of the address bar (next to the bookmark star button) you can see a shield icon with red square and white X. Click on the icon and then click on the 'Load dangerous scripts' button.

3. now all your videos will play like before, but you need to repeat this process every time you close chrome.

Please note that this is not a Chrome specific error. I get the same error also in Edge (and IE11), but unlike Chrome, I cannot load the "dangerous" scripts to make it work under Edge.

This is not related in any way to Windows internet security settings. OneDrive video streaming worked back in January on all my machines and then suddenly stopped working everywhere at the same time.

Hopefully Microsoft can have a look at this issue? It's really difficult to explain these steps to non-IT family members :) 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Good skills, thanks, you've saved me a load of time there!  I'm sharing the videos and it seems a bit of a pain having to explain that every time I do.  Think this has brought forward my planned rationalisation of cloud storage usage.  GDrive seems to be giving fairly consistent user friendly results.

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem. Same for me - I was just thinking about finally subscribing to get extra storage, but this is a definitive deal breaker for me.

What's interesting is, that this issue is not present on my company onedrive account. It is possible that some older version of onedrive is running on the company sharepoint address and the issue does not exist there yet.

Let's see if they can solve it. 

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, and it seems to have started after an update on my Android phone (Nokia 8, Anroid Oreo 8.1) - not sure if the desktop/browser version has been updated too.

All my videos play fine using a desktop video player, but when uploaded to OneDrive there's just an error 'sorry, there was a problem loading the video.'

This might have something to do with video formats, because it only affects videos taken with the Nokia 8 Android phone, where videos I've uploaded previously that worked no longer open in browsers, but videos taken with an old Windows phone (Nokia Lumia 925) still work fine. Both are mp4 though.

I can also still play the videos using the OneDrive app on my Android phone, so it seems to be the desktop browser version.

The newer videos from the Android phone work in Chrome with the workaround described by TheMarwin.

There's another thread with a link from a moderator to report problems:

https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/10413084-video-support

Sorry this didn't help.