Question

Q: Full reset of OneDrive on Windows 10

Hey - I've tried searching and following various guides across the internet, but nothing has worked.

I am trying to do a clean install of OneDrive on a Microsoft Surface with Windows 10. I know that I can't uninstall OneDrive, but I am also failing to disconnect the onedrive > delete all the files in the onedrive on the machine > re-add the onedrive and let it repopulate with all the files.

Can anybody provide me step-by-step instructions on disconnecting my onedrive on this surface so it doesnt sync with the cloud or my other device and then tell me how to delete + re-add everything?

I don't know what I've done wrong so far, but I appreciate your help. 

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that, rather unlinking OneDrive and running the setup again. If you want to re-add all the files in OneDrive it is better to perform OneDrive reset, resetting OneDrive re-syncs all your OneDrive files.

Reset OneDrive

If OneDrive sync seems to be stuck for a long time and nothing else is working, try a reset. Be aware that resetting OneDrive re-syncs all your OneDrive files, which could take some time depending on how many files you’re syncing.

1. Press the Windows key + R.

2. In the Run window, enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset

3. Click OK.

4. Make sure the OneDrive icon in the notification area of the taskbar disappears and then re-appears after a minute or two. Here’s how to check: Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.

(You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.)

5. If the OneDrive icon doesn’t re-appear after a few minutes, open the Run window again and enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

For reference:

Using OneDrive on Surface

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/storage-files-and-folders/onedrive-on-surface?os=windows-10

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

37 people were helped by this reply

Thanks Yaseer. Will this process not affect my files in the cloud or on my other computer?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

No, it will not effect any of your files in the cloud nor on your other computer. Resetting OneDrive only re-syncs all your OneDrive files.

If you have any further queries feel free to post on Microsoft Community we will be glad to help you.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We haven't heard back from you on the issue status. Please reply with the results so that we can continue to assist you further.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

I am having the same problem (no onedrive files from my Windows phone in the folder .  But the solution above did not work: file not found.

Turns out there was no onedrive.exe in the folder specified.   I found another copy in the same folder for another user (call him User2) and copied it into my folder and tried again, i.e., entered

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset  

Still no cloud icon in the system tray after several (about 5) minutes.  So I tried the second command:

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

Still no cloud icon.

I notices there is do OneDrive folder under my {username} folder like there is forUser2.  So I tried creating one and repeating the two steps above.  Again, nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

My desktop and laptop having this issue, desktop is resolved with the one drive reset and it will re-downloading everything, and duplicated some of the recently opened file.

My laptop don't give any responses, please help what should i do with my laptop.

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

EDIT:

After I run this, OneDrive loads only Business but not Personal -- and it is the Personal that keeps crashing every few weeks and not restarting, even after reboots.

Advice?

Matthew Doucette

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, I can't seem to get past step one Windows Icon+R.  Nothing happens.  What is supposed to occur?   Maybe I am not getting to the "run" option?  All I get is Cortana type search here.  I tried opening file manager, but still don't get anywhere to insert the pasted info from your how to list.

I am a neophyte when it comes to electronic communications.  I am also over 65, so I'm a bit slow on the uptake.  Can anyone help walk me through OneDrive reset from the very, very beginning?

thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

The /reset command didn't seem to be doing much for me either. I opened up the OneDrive folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\ and noticed there was a sub-folder for the new installation (18.025.0204.0009). I am assuming the reset command initiated the download but for some reason it did not start the update. In the sub-folder there is a OneDriveSetup.exe which I started manually and once it had completed the installation OneDrive (Personal and Business) were both working again.

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

Thx, I'll try that.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Question Info