OneDrive disconnected from this device

I have used OneDrive for years.  I upgraded this computer to W10 a few months ago, and set up OneDrive.  Everything has been working OK, until a few minutes ago when I returned to my computer.  There was a notification popup that OneDrive had been disconnected on this device, and that I had to set it up again. 

Why should that happen, and how can  I prevent it from recurring.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2019 Views 1,218 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

For any who might be interested, here is a copy of my interaction with the OneDrive team (my initial question is at the bottom).  Since my problem has not recurred, I am going to wait for more information before carrying out any of their suggestions, but for those who are having repeated problems, their suggestions might be useful.

It seems, from their response, that their impression is that there is a problem with the installation of OneDrive on the malfunctioning computers.

============================================================

Hi Ron,

We are contacting you regarding the OneDrive feedback you submitted through our website . We understand that you're facing sync issue.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to reach out to us.Your feedback is very important to us.

To answer your question: We would like to suggest you to perform following steps in order to resolve syncing files to your computer:

1. Right click on the taskbar of OneDrive on your Desktop.
  2. Open Settings.
  3. In Choose folders>Choose folders.
  4. Unmark Sync all files and folders in my OneDrive.
  5. Click OK.

If still the problem persists, then try resetting the OneDrive app:
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.
2. In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset
3. Click OK. The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appear after a minute or two.
4. If the OneDrive system tray icon does not re-appear after a few minutes, do the following.
In the Run Window Enter: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe

If still issue persists,

Press the Windows key + R to open the Run Window.
2. Type in Run Window %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\update

We hope this answers your questions. At this point we will consider this issue closed but please feel free to let us know if you still have any issues.

OneDrive Team

Date Created: 10/14/2015 05:03 AM PDT
What would you like to do?: Report a problem
Category: Other
Comment: A week ago (Oct 7), I received a message that OneDrive had disconnected from my device (my home computer). It had to resync and this has not recurred for me. However, I started a thread on the MS Community OneDrive forum (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odstart-odinstall/onedrive-disconnected-from-this-device/d9f05743-4a34-4eb8-a476-c0157ab6ffbd?page=1&msgId=ce03a71d-c911-4c9a-933a-455013f413cf) and, over the past week, a number of others have reported similar problems on multiple machines running W7 and/or W10; and for some with a number of files and slow connection, the resync has been lengthy.

This event, and the lack of any feedback from MS as to its cause, and/or how to prevent it in the future, is disconcerting. On the off-chance that you have not heard of this problem, I am reporting it here, and will plan to disseminate your response on the forum (unless you can post there directly).

A timely response would be much appreciated.

If you have any other questions or comments, please reply to this message.

Sincerely,

The OneDrive Team

Microsoft respects your privacy. Review our online Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way. Redmond, WA 98052

Ron

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.