Onedrive selective sync: can't change settings as 'helpful' dialog mistakenly thinks not enough space (NTFS junctions)

On my Windows 7 PC, I use NTFS directory junctions to sync things which are not in my onedrive folder.

This works great except that when I try to change which folders sync, I get told that there is not enough space. Really there is enough, except that the client doesn't realise that these files are downloaded already. This is probably because of the directory junctions.

I emphasis that the sync client is generally 100% good with this and everything works perfectly. Only in the selective sync dialog, the input validation doesn't understand it. When I try to choose folders to sync, the 'ok' button is greyed out. The space required calculation is wrong.

All I want to do is stop a certain folder from syncing to my computer but I am unable to make any changes!

All would be fine, except the 'helpful' selective sync dialog won't let me change this setting. I can't change it any other way either as the .ini files in appdata...onedrive don't seem to contain this setting and neither does the registry.

Question Info

Last updated February 28, 2019 Views 1,072 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Are you connected to a domain network?

I request you to check if there is enough storage left in your OneDrive account.

https://onedrive.live.com/?v=managestorage

Meanwhile, I suggest you to Unlink the Microsoft account from OneDrive, Relink it back and check if you face the issue.

1. Right-click the white OneDrive cloud icon in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.
  2. (You might need to click the Show hidden icons arrow next to the notification area to see the OneDrive icon.)
  3. Click Settings, and then click Unlink.

4. Follow the steps in the Welcome to OneDrive wizard to set up OneDrive.

Keep us updated on the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you.

I am not a member of a domain.

I have a great deal of space left in my onedrive account.

I am scared to unlink and relink my account as I would not like to reupload all my data. I previously tried uninstalling, reinstalling and reuploading everything.

Just to be clear, this is not a BUG in onedrive exactly, or something not working, it is merely a poor design decision by the developers. In the dialog in which you select which folders you want synced there is a validation rule which stops you clicking 'ok' unless it thinks you have sufficient local storage. Very wise. Unfortunately, they did not make it clever enough to understand directory junctions.

The picture I include should make this clear. It claims I do not have enough space for these files. However I obviously do, as these files are on my computer now! I have not made any changes, I have not ticked anything new, but it still doesn't let me click 'ok'!

What I want is simply a way of bypassing this. I just want to stop a certain folder syncing!

I obviously DO have enough local storage as I am fully synced. Yet I get this error as soon as I open the dialog, without making any changes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

Since you mentioned that you have enough of local storage but I noticed that from the above screenshot validation rule states that the remaining space on C: -212.7GB and the selected items contains 215.4GB, so you need to free up some space to sync the folder with OneDrive. The validation rule will validate your local space available and allow you to sync folders with OneDrive depending upon the space available on your local drive.

I suggest you to go to the File Explorer and right click on the C drive and select Properties, under general tab check for the free space and let us know how much space is available.

Please be inform that files you save to OneDrive are available online at OneDrive.com and offline on your PC. That means you can use them anytime, even when you’re not connected to the Internet. When you reconnect, OneDrive updates the online versions with changes you made offline. Offline files come in handy when you’re stuck without Wi-Fi, but they also take up space on your PC.

If you don't have enough of space to sync folder Offline you can keep fewer OneDrive files available offline or you can move OneDrive folder to the different location which has enough of space. Refer to the following steps from the link: Move the OneDrive Folder

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/wiki/odoptions-oddesktop/move-the-onedrive-folder/147dade2-830b-46ee-bf7e-36a8eab9446a

Hope this information helps.

Regards,
Yaseer.

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I have all my onedrive files on my computer already. I have 0 bytes left to download. The main client understands this, just this dialog thinks that the files are not already downloaded, perhaps because it doesn't understand directory junctions. The calculation is this dialog is wrong. As I said, I am fully synced, yet I get this error message as soon as I open the dialog, without changing anything.

You are right that I only have a couple of gb left, but that is WITH all these files present already.

I am using win7 by the way. I wonder if you are thinking of 8?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We appreciate you for the way you have described the issue in brief. As you have mentioned and if you're sure that the drive has the available capacity to sync all the files of yours from OneDrive and still you receive this error, then let's reset OneDrive and check the result. This has helped fix similar issues. It won't affect your files, but reset does re-sync all of your OneDrive data, which could take some time depending on the size of your data. You can reset OneDrive by doing the following:  

1. Press the 'Windows key + R' to open the 'Run' Window.  

2. In the Run Window enter the following: %localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe /reset  

3. Click OK.  The OneDrive system tray icon on the desktop should disappear and re-appearafter a minute or two.  

4. If the One Drive system tray icon does not re-appearafter a few minutes, do the following.    

In the Run Window Enter:    

%localappdata%\Microsoft\OneDrive\onedrive.exe  

Let us know the result so that we can assist you further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We haven’t heard back from you. Let us know if you need any assistance/information with One Drive and we’ll be glad if we could be of any help. 

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had already tried that but it doesn't help. The dialog box is working as it has been programmed, it just hasn't been programmed to understand junctions. Either the developers should fix that or can someone find a workaround? Where does onedrive store the config for selective sync?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

For further assistance, you may check the following link and can contact stack Overflow. Here is the link:

OneDrive Development support - StackOverflow

Regards,

Sorry this didn't help.

Vote for this to be fixed at https://onedrive.uservoice.com/forums/262982-onedrive/suggestions/18416434-fix-incorrect-calculation-of-remaining-free-space

The stack exchange suggestion below is not helpful - that tag is only for api questions.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.