OneDrive NTFS Message

So I moved my onedrive to an SDHC card around 6 months ago because the hardrive space on my laptop is very small (only 32GB). This has been working perfectly fine for me.

The other day, my sister added her user account to my laptop and uploaded her onedrive to the same SD card. This card remains in the laptop.

Today, I turned on my laptop and a message came up saying:

"THe location where you were trying to create OneDrive folder belong to a drive with unsupported file system. To have OneDrive use a different location, click "Set up OneDrive" and point OneDrive to a NTFS drive. To use the existing location with OneDrive, you need to format it with NTFS then click "Set up OneDrive" to configure your account.

Why has this only appeared now? I don't know how to format the SD card with NTFS..

Please help!

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2018 Views 2,509 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This happened to me too and I'm horribly annoyed! Why do you change this from one day to another without noticing anyone? Had OneDrive on exFAT for over half a year and it worked without problems....

Any way to fix this without having to reformat my SD card? Is there a way to go back to an old version of Onedrive?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been using the new REFS file system for quite a while now on my office computers (all with Windows 10, latest version). OneDrive is essential for me as I need to share files with project groups, if necessary.

Today, when I turned on my computers in the office, the message quoted above came. What happened?

Moving the OneDrive folder to a hard disk with NTFS would be possible for me but not a good option.

Please give us some information about your step to make NTFS the only file system possible. When can we use ReFS, FAT32 etc. again?

Thank you for your help!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem.  I have a Windows 10 laptop and use OneDrive via my Office365 subscription to share files to a Surface Pro 4.  

I formatted the SD card on my Surface Pro.  I do most of my work on the Surface Pro.  Today, OneDrive stopped syncing my files because I don't have NTFS on my SD card.

This is obviously a mistake.  The current FS has worked fine for over a year.  There is nothing special about OneDrive that makes sense to require NTFS suddenly and without warning.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The problem described here must be related to this problem, which began in the same time-frame. Count me among those suffering from this BS!

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Can someone at Microsoft explain to us WHY you keep screwing up OneDrive?

First there was the Unlimited Storage fiasco which was basically a bait-n-switch scam to sell more Office 365 subscriptions.  

Then when my PC started up today, I was greeted with this BS.

Like others here, I utilize Storage Spaces and REFS because I care about my data integrity.  Why the hell would Microsoft stop supporting their next generation file system, which has much better data integrity than the ancient NTFS, for a product whose main function is data backup?

And why would they do this without warning anyone?

Seriously, I want the name of the incompetent fools making one bad decision after another without considering the needs of their customers.  Because that person needs to be out on their ass and denied any more silicon valley jobs.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list of EXTREMEL pissed off PAYING CUSTOMERS who got shafted by this sudden change. I'd be ok with it, if there had been communication in advance. But making a change that breaks functionality and without warning... that's not the behavior of an enterprise software company.

48 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i also having the same problem.. onedrive stop working.

hard drive format exFAT

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Add me to the list of extremely annoyed customers who absolutely do want to re-format their SD-card, or see any reason why they should.

I was a long-term skeptic of Microsoft but my last two Microsoft devices were winning me over - but every time something like this happens, the odds of me continuing to use Microsoft products plummet.

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Lets add my voice to this. Got the same message. Particularly annoying since my Windows Store apps are also set to be on the SD card of my Surface. I imagine it is not just a matter of copying my SD card files off to a backup, reformatting the card and copying them back. These are system files and they tend to be finicky about how you handle them. 

If the backup, reformat, copy back, should work, someone at MS please tell us.

In addition let me note some information from the exFat Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT)

So, is MS really saying I can't put OneDrive on an SD card larger than 32G, and formatting a larger card with exFat, their own format, isn't acceptable?  It was acceptable two days ago. 

You do understand that many people have an SD card in their Surfaces, for the express reason of having sufficient storage space to re-direct OneDrive.  Please tell us why exFat, a format optimized for larger SD cards, is all of a sudden not suitable for OneDrive, when it has been working for over a year at least.  Please tell us when this will be fixed.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

This must be 'new and improved'*, as I first noticed it on my Surface 3.  No big deal I thought, converting the SD to NTFS is a simple command.  Then my desktop PC got an update, and it too got the message.  OK, now it is a big deal.  You see, on my desktop, I use Storage Spaces, and they are Resilient File System (ReFS).  In that I use storage spaces because they are damn near bullet proof, I was forced to move my One Drive folder to my boot drive, which is NTFS So, ReFS is good because it lets you lose a drive and keep your data, it self-heals/self corrects, doesn’t need to be checked and about 20 other advantages, but Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, decided that One Drive MUST exist on the older, less reliable NTFS.  I get why we can't boot from ReFS, but to force cloud applications to be on a file system older than its target customer is just wrong!  But what do I know, I've only been in the business since JC Penny & the phone bills (remember when there was only 1?) were sent out on punched cards.

For those who don’t know what a punched card is, they are only a hair older than NTFS.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card

And no, I'm not that old, I started programming when I was 3 <cough, cough>

*Improved to the point that it doesn't work any more

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.