• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question
  • This thread is locked from future replies

Excessive data usage with OneDrive

TimLord asked on
Hi, about three weeks ago I noticed a massive jump in data usage, up to 70 Gb in a 24 hours period. After investigation I noted that unusually, it only seems to occur when the PC is idle, ie, generally overnight or at times I am not using the PC for an extended period. It such situations it will upload consistently at around 4 Gb per hour. I installed GlassWire and have isolated the issue to one PC (even though several devices connect to the router) and identified the culprit as OneDrive (host is a-1101.a-msedge.net). I recently upgraded to Windows 10 hoping this might resolve the issue, but no. So I assume it is something to so with the Onedrive sync settings. Telco usage reporting shows the issue starting on a specific date, and the clear pattern since. It is driving me nuts, I have now set my router to inactive overnight, but this is only a quasi-fix. If unmanaged I would blow a 250Gb data limit within a week. I am running Office365 using two PC's and 1 tablet, all synced to OneDrive and the same Outlook account. Any insight/help is appreciated. Thanks.  
45 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
TimLord replied on

Thanks Anish. After much trial and error I believe I have located the issue. Around the time the issue started I added a data account in Outlook so I could access some historical emails. It was a 1GB .pst file. I have an Outlook folder in OneDrive which I essentially use as a backup. While testing I noted this file was constantly syncing. I subsequently removed it from OneDrive and stored locally, and since then there has been no further download/upload issues. I would note that my OneDrive account is mainly for work purposes and only stores 8GB of data. This is why a seeing 50GB upload between midnight and 6am was so unusual. Anyway, three days clear, so fingers crossed !
10 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress