OneDrive continuously restarts on my Windows 10 computers

On my two Windows 10 computers, the OneDrive application continually terminates and then restarts. Each time it restarts, it puts a ghost image in the taskbar area. Here's what my taskbar looks like after a while:

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 224 Applies to:
Hi Rob,

For us to isolate the issue, may we know what changes have you done prior to getting this issue? Does this happen with other apps as well or just OneDrive? What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We'll be waiting for your response.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This has happened since originally purchasing the OneDrive $99 service. Did not use OneDrive before then. So it's been going on for a couple months, on both my home and office computers, both running Windows 10.

It does not happen with any other apps, just OneDrive.

I've searched online for problem reports and possible solutions. Haven't kept track of everything I've tried, but here are a couple:

• https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/22467-onedrive-desktop-app-crashing-windows-10-a.html
  • https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odfiles/onedrive-constantly-crashes-and-restarts/0d83efbf-f47d-47de-9ecd-40aa0cb8d493
  • https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odwork-odfiles/onedrive-sync-keeps-crashing-on-windows-10/bbac1e4e-4861-4587-8222-3087f243b447

Here's a typical entry from the Windows Application log:

Faulting application name: OneDrive.exe, version: 17.3.7131.1115, time stamp: 0x5a0d0bd9
Faulting module name: OneDrive.exe, version: 17.3.7131.1115, time stamp: 0x5a0d0bd9
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0003d49c
Faulting process id: 0x16a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d375a192d7c1f9
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\OneDrive\OneDrive.exe
Report Id: 24f7e2cf-ceb4-4cdb-a2b1-bc861c49f42d
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Thanks,

-Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for providing us the information. We recommend uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise, you can try performing a System File Check Scan and DISM to troubleshoot software conflicts that may be causing the problem. The steps can be found on this link.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for providing us the information. We recommend uninstalling and reinstalling OneDrive and see if that resolves the issue. Otherwise, you can try performing a System File Check Scan and DISM to troubleshoot software conflicts that may be causing the problem. The steps can be found on this link.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Based on my 2 systems that started showing this behavior, I think it started when I upgraded each of them to the Fall Creators Update. It appears to have improved dramatically by Unlinking My Account, shutting down OneDrive, then restarting it and re-adding my account. I still get an occasional restart, maybe once/day, especially on my Surface Pro 4 after it has gone to sleep overnight and I open it up in the morning and start using it.

I will try the uninstall/reinstall of OneDrive next and see if that clears it up completely.

Cindy Kee, CNC Consulting

Sorry this didn't help.

I uninstalled and then re-installed OneDrive on my office computer.

Then ran SFC and DISM. No errors were found:

OneDrive continues to crash and restart.

-Rob

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been through this non-stop with OneDrive for years now - fresh reinstalls, uninstalling and reinstalling, etc etc etc, nothing makes any difference. OneDrive is just poorly built and can't handle when you have a huge number of files and use a lot of space AND have a lot of subdirectories. It was only recently they even bothered to fix it so it wouldn't crash if you had too many nested subfolders with long names, so you'd manually rename folders and hope it wouldn't crash any more. Anyways good luck, I've wasted tons of time trying to fix the issues and nothing helps. The answer is delete like 60% of what you're backing up and then it might work, that's the only solution until MS rebuilds OneDrive from the ground up to be able to actually hand large backups that use up to the 1TB of space you get with Office 365.

Also to add to this on a tied in account on Office 365 I have a backup that still uses up a ton of space, like 700GB, but it's only doing video files so its not that many files, that install works fine with no issues, because it's not a lot of sub folder and long file names, which again is what I strongly suspect is giving OneDrive issues and MS doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. 

Sorry this didn't help.

OneDrive is just poorly built and can't handle when you have a huge number of files and use a lot of space AND have a lot of subdirectories. It was only recently they even bothered to fix it so it wouldn't crash if you had too many nested subfolders with long names, so you'd manually rename folders and hope it wouldn't crash any more.

be able to actually hand large backups that use up to the 1TB of space you get with Office 365.

so its not that many files, that install works fine with no issues, because it's not a lot of sub folder and long file names,

This actually makes sense based on what I have stored on OneDrive. I have all of my Documents, Photos, Videos, and Music on OneDrive, about 850GB, which means the Documents and Photos folders have a lot of subfolders to organize it all. I wish I could actually use all of my 1TB with the Office 365 subscription.

The recent interaction between the Photos app and OneDrive has made things even worse, causing File Explorer and OneDrive to hang frequently. I was hoping that the Photos app had reached a point where it would give me 90% of what I actually use without the need for paying for an Adobe Photography subscription. I might have to look for another solution for my 400 GB of photos and hopefully not spend a whole lot more money to give me the space I need and the easy access.

I do like the new OneDrive On-Demand feature where I can see all of my files even if they are not downloaded on my system. This really helps manage things on my Surface Pro 4 where I only have 256GB on the built-in drive and 128GB on a microSD plugged in. But if it is going to continue to crash and cause problems with the Photos app, I might look for something else. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cindy,

We'd like to know if you were able to uninstall/ reinstall the OneDrive app. If yes, and the issue still persists, we suggest posting this issue in the OneDrive UserVoice. This site is a place where you can post feedback, issues, and suggestions regarding OneDrive.

Should you need further help, you're more than welcome to post back. We'll be more than happy to assist further.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Cindy,

We'd like to know if you were able to uninstall/ reinstall the OneDrive app. If yes, and the issue still persists, we suggest posting this issue in the OneDrive UserVoice. This site is a place where you can post feedback, issues, and suggestions regarding OneDrive.

Should you need further help, you're more than welcome to post back. We'll be more than happy to assist further.

Yes, I finally was able to uninstall/reinstall OneDrive with a reboot in between. I left the machine up all day and the problem still persists.

Also, I have another computer that I just did a new rebuild from scratch of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and it has the same symptoms!

I will post my problems on UserVoice.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I have another computer that I just did a new rebuild from scratch of Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and it has the same symptoms!

I did post this in UserVoice, but not sure if that will ever solve my problem.

One symptom I forgot to mention is how much OneDrive causes problems with File Explorer.

Whenever OneDrive is running on my desktop (the one I reinstalled Fall Creator's on from scratch just before New Year's), and I bring up File Explorer, File Explorer hangs much of the time. I can click on This PC, and the progress bar in the path bar slowly works its way across, never finishing and ultimately hanging until I kill it from Task Manager. If I exit OneDrive and then bring File Explorer back up, it works fine.

I also wonder if it has anything to do with the Photos app because I will sometimes see a popup in the bottom right that OneDrive is downloading photos for the Photos app. I think since the Fall Creator's update, there is some kind of coordination between OneDrive and Photos, but not sure what it's doing. I eventually want to be able to use the Photos app to import my pictures from my camera/SD cards and use it instead of Lightroom, but as unstable as OneDrive is, I haven't ever been able to use Photos like that.

On both of my Windows 10 computers (desktop and Surface Pro 4), I have OneDrive set to use the On Demand feature and the Settings show that I am using 914GB of my 1TB space. Also, rebuilding the desktop computer and turning on OneDrive with that many files to synchronize - even as On Demand - takes days and days. I don't know that it has ever finished synchronizing yet, especially with all the times I have had to turn it off in order to be able to use my PC, and then forget to turn it back on later!

I'm about ready to explore other Cloud Storage options from other vendors, but not sure if downloading all of my files from OneDrive in ZIP files will retain my created/modified dates so that all of my pictures maintain the correct data. 

Sorry this didn't help.