Cursor behaves improperly in MS Word

Split from this thread.

Yes, I have the exact same problem.  The editing I-bar cursor disappears and re-appears without notice.  But, most of time, I need to restart Word to get the I-bar back.  I have reported this behavior after the last 4 or 5 updates after seeing that this issue has not been resolved.  I have version 15.33 (170228) and MacOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The cursor has always changed according to position

See this as an example:

movie 

YouTube recently changed their rules and if you see any advertising I didn't put it there. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, it is understood that the cursor changes from a pointer to an I-bar to a reverse pointer depending on where the cursor is located.  However, the problem we are describing is where we cannot get the I-bar back when we want to edit.   The pointer stays and does not change to an I-bar at the appropriate time like in your video.  In order words, we don't experience the cursor changing as in your video as it is supposed to work. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

According to the version (15.33) of your Word 2016 for Mac, you’re using the Office Insider fast build. Please understand that Office Insider fast version provides the earliest preview builds, and it may also bring some risks when using it. For your reference:
What is Office Insider?

Given the situation, we suggest you revert to non-insider versions of Office. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
Jiaxing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sound like an issue with the either word Preference or plist file or a defective Normal.dotm.

To test for a bad plist file. Quit Word then hold "Shift key" down while restarting.

If it returns to normal operation, then the plist file more than likely is bad.

If no effect, then locate Normal.dotm file for Word 2016. And either rename or move to the trash, and try Word. 

One or the other should cure. The issue. 

_________

Disclaimer:

The questions, discussions, opinions, replies & answers I create, are solely mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon my position as a Community Moderator.

If my reply has helped, mark accordingly - Helpful or Answer
Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi David,

Have you referred to the above suggestions? Can you share any update?

Regards,
Jiaxing

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

There was a new Insider Fast build 170315 this morning. Please install the update and see if the problem has gone away. Be sure to restart your Mac before testing.
Be sure to include the version number and OS version when asking your question.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have exactly the same problem as reported by David Josephs, which occurs when using Office Insider Slow updates and even before that using normal updates. The cursor behaves normally when a doc is opened but when I go to print the doc then return to work on it, the cursor becomes an arrow when editing and stays that way until I close and reopen Word. No other MS program is affected. The problem occurs for me 100% of the time as described above and has even occurred after a Mail notification slides across the screen then goes away.

Importantly as per Jiaxing Bian's suggestion to restart (presumably the computer; not just Word) while holding "Shift key" down, I did this and the problem remains, which suggests it is not a bad plist or preference file. I also replaced the Normal.dotm file and this did not solve the problem either.

We are very much hoping MS will solve this problem for us and appreciate your help.

Kim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 30, 2021 Views 1,984 Applies to: