Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.

I am getting the pop up error message from Word 2007:Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable.  This is really causing havoc with my ability to use the integration features with SharePoint.  I am trying to use SharePoint as a collaboration tool with my team, but am being forced to use my local Documents folder and email instead, because of this error.  Previous answers to this problem are cryptic and not at all helpful to me.  I need an answer I can use. This is really making me feel hateful toward Word 2007.

I found what I think is a solution for this error.  I found it in kind of a strange place. I am going to look it up again and add the information in here asap.

Here is the location of the answer I found.  I hope this might help someone else.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/5b564970-23a7-40a5-b25e-bf3db08f060a

I changed a setting under Organize, Folder and Search Options, Folder view
in Windows explorer. I unchecked Show preview handlers in preview pane
this seemed to clear up the issue.

Question Info

Last updated February 24, 2020 Views 22,856 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I solved this problem by running winword.exe /r.  The /r switch forces a re-register of Word in the Windows registry.

Steps:
1. Open the Run prompt (<Windows Key>-R)
2. Type: winword.exe /r
3. Hit enter

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.