How can I repair my Microsoft Word application. Word files will not open until after I get a check temp. environment variable error

How can I repair my Microsoft Word application? Word files will not open until after I get a check temp. environment variable error.

Anytime I open a Word file. I first get an error message which says:   Word can not open the file, Check Temp environment variable.

Then the file opens. However, after opening the file, any changes to edit & or save the file aren't permitted.

Please e-mail me at (<PII removed>) with any possible fixes.

Thank You
Answer
Answer
How can I repair my Microsoft Word application? Word files will not open until after I get a check temp. environment variable error.

Anytime I open a Word file. I first get an error message which says:   Word can not open the file, Check Temp environment variable.

Then the file opens. However, after opening the file, any changes to edit & or save the file aren't permitted.

Please e-mail me at (<PII removed>) with any possible fixes.

Thank You

The error message "Word could not create the work file. Check the temp environment variable". Can be caused by incorrect registry values in the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

Click Start and in the start search field, type

Regedit

and press enter.

In the registry editor, browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders

On the right hand pane, check the value data for Cache.

It has to be %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files.

If it is different, double click on Cache and type:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

under value data and click ok. Close the registry and  restart the computer and check if it works.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
Screen shots by Snagit from www.techsmith.com

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 12, 2020 Views 1,227 Applies to: