windows 7 and outlook 2010 microsoft security username and password request

Remember - This is a public forum so never post private information such as email or phone numbers!

i have newly installed above. have downloaded my outlook exchanger server ( from blackberry company )  now keeps asking for username and password before i can open my profile .. what is microsoft security and these requests 

Ideas:

• Programs you are having problems with
  • Error messages
  • Recent changes you made to your computer
  • What you have already tried to fix the problem
Answer
Answer

Stephens answer is closer, but I can't believe how many people were so off the mark with their responses.

Basically, Outlook 2010 on Windows 7. The default account is the mailbox on the corporate Exchange Server.

Every time Outlook is started, it pops up a Windows Security login prompt. Nothing to do with malware. This is "by design", but only in certain circumstances, such as "always prompt for credentials" being checked.

Another is that you have Outlook logins defined in the Credential Manager.

Close Outlook, goto Start>Control Panel>User Accounts, click "Manage your credentials", scroll down to "Generic Credentials" and remove from the vault any that start with "MS.Outlook:".

Now when you start Outlook it'll use your corporate domain login without prompting.

This situation occurs if you add multiple accounts to Outlook that have different logins, and then remove some of those accounts. The stored credentials get left behind and Outlook can't decide which one to use.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I am moving your thread to the Outlook forums as I believe that this is an Outlook issue. You could check in your account settings in Outlook - more settings/security tab to see if the "always prompt for credentials" option is checked.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2024 Views 78,699 Applies to: