Is there a file-size limit in Publisher?

I'm creating an 8 x 10 book that will be 800-1000 pages. (text and about 700 photos) I'd like to keep the page number sequence intact.
|

Reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_other/is-there-a-restriction-on-2010-microsoft-publisher/5374e3cf-98cd-4bee-90ec-e5536aa85ed9

There is no way I would attempt to create a Publisher file that large. I think the odds of having problems are too great. I would break it up into chapters. You can still keep the page numbering intact using 'insert section' or changing where to start the numbering.

If you do try this then remember to always work from your local hard drive. Don't open from or save to removable media or even a network drive. I also hope your computer has lots and lots of RAM...the larger the file the harder it will be to open.

Backup your backups of your backups...

DavidF

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reference: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_other/is-there-a-restriction-on-2010-microsoft-publisher/5374e3cf-98cd-4bee-90ec-e5536aa85ed9

There is no way I would attempt to create a Publisher file that large. I think the odds of having problems are too great. I would break it up into chapters. You can still keep the page numbering intact using 'insert section' or changing where to start the numbering.

If you do try this then remember to always work from your local hard drive. Don't open from or save to removable media or even a network drive. I also hope your computer has lots and lots of RAM...the larger the file the harder it will be to open.

Backup your backups of your backups...

DavidF

===========================================
Hey David,

Wouldn't MS Word be a better program for creating a book?
.......Volunteer J - MS-MVP......
.....This Is Not Tech Support....
***Proceed at your own risk***

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

===========================================
Hey David,

Wouldn't MS Word be a better program for creating a book?

Yes, that is what I have always been told.

DavidF

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

ONLY PROBLEM with using Word is it will only open a file up to 32Mb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

OK...good point. I still think for a long doc that is primarily textual, Word, a word processor is going to be a best choice. Word offers many other features that are helpful that you won't find in Publisher. As with Publisher if you start to exceed the 32MB limit then you should be breaking your doc up into chapters and smaller file size. Let the publisher of the book worry about merging the chapters or combine them into a PDF at the end.

Just because you might be able to create a Publisher file size up to 1.5GB, doesn't mean you should. In my mind you are just asking for problems. The newer versions of Publisher have been shown to choke on large files and I believe the odds of corrupting a file increase exponentially as file size grows.

As with Word if I was creating a long multipage Publisher publication with lots of pictures I would break it up into smaller files for safety. I would also try to minimize file size by compressing images or linking them. In the reply above I reference another thread. In that thread I also reference another thread. For convenience here it is again: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-office_other/what-are-the-maximum-number-of-pages-you-can/6bb766c5-424e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

And don't forget to back up and then back up your back up files. There is no excuse for not having multiple backup files in this day and age.

DavidF

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 14, 2021 Views 4,354 Applies to: